Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Jersey Girls Don't Pump!


True Story:

I was driving from NJ to California for the first time. It was 1986 I had never been nor driven farther south than DC. I was taking the southern route because it was the better route for weather in December.

I had to gas up once I hit Somewhere, Virginia. Of course I didn't know how to pump gas and of course I had no intention of pumping gas or getting my hands dirty with that smelly ole' gas. I was a Jersey Girl and we don't pump!

That was until I saw the difference in the price between self serve and full serve. Full service is what we were accustomed to in New Jersey. That used to mean that the attendant pumped the gas, checked the oil, cleaned the windshield, put air in the tire if necessary. FULL service meant FULL service! We are now deprived as are all other states, full service now means we only get our gas pumped. What ever happened to good customer service? LOL!

When it became evident that there was such a huge price difference and I had some 3000 miles before me, I knew I had to learn how to pump and fast! Some nice woman was watching me fumbling with this contraption foreign to me, commonly known as a gas pump. I don't think I even knew how to remove the handle. Seriously... Seeing that I had no idea what the hell I was doing, she said "honey do you want me to show you"? Of course I said yes and I pumped my own gas from Virginia to California and back.

Even now, when I'm in one of those lesser privileged states that still have to pump their own gas, I will pump. But trust me, when I don't have to, I don't! If I am coming anywhere near Jersey, I wait to fill er' up!

Good for Jersey! Keeping folks employed! Gas station attendant was an honorable after school or summer job. At some point I am sure all the boys in our neighborhood had a job pumping gas.
 
Gas in NJ was cheaper than the pump your own states until governor christie cut a self serving deal I am sure with the oil company devils. Gas was cheaper in NJ AND we didn't have to endure the elements to pump it. Imagine that! We were spoiled.

Not pumping gas in Jersey is like a state privilege, a relatively small perk in exchange for the high ass taxes I suppose! SMH... 

May we never have to pump gas in Jersey. It will be a one term politician who campaigns for change in this law. Yes, its against the law to pump your own gas, at least it used to be. So when in Jersey, just chill and get half served. That's as good as it's going to get! LOL!!!




FN: I forego gas on really cold or otherwise bad weather days out of compassion for the worker! It can wait!

6 comments:

  1. I feel like I must have some princess attitude in me because I don’t see why I should pump my own gas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what happen to the good ole days. Raise prices and less service! Yes I too, am a Jersey Girl!!!

    Wanda G Bryant-Ison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was one of the country's 1st female gas station attendants. And situated on campus, I got to see & meet everyone. so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 61 yrs old and I have never pumped my own gas...or anyone else's! Spoiled Jersey girl here too. I wouldn't know where to start, do you put your money into a slot thingy first?

    ReplyDelete