Monday, December 12, 2022

Be A Blessing...


On Sunday morning we were startled out of our apartments @ 6:30 AM to a false alarm for a fire. So rather than sit in my car, I drove to the local Wawa to get my favorite Chai tea. There is a reason for everything people...

The first Wawa I went to did not have my tea. I drove to the next. They're on every corner it seems...

When I exited the store, there was a homeless man who had no coat. He was visibly cold. Of course he was. It's 37°.

He wasn't asking for anything. Just standing there shaking. I gave him a dollar asked him where he lived. He said, I'm homeless. I said but where do you hang out? He said, in Bellmawr, which is a couple towns away. I asked how did you get here? He said I was in the hospital and somebody stole all my stuff.

I drove back to my apartment and packed a bag for him. Of course I only have girl stuff. I gave him a plaid, gender neutral,  Liz Clairborne wool jacket. He didn't mind. It was better than what he had. I gave him a scarf, some nice leather gloves with a fur lining, a couple of hats, $10 for his pocket and a blanket. He was so appreciative.

When I got back to the store at first I didn't see him. I was gonna' go looking for him when I saw him sweeping the far end of the parking lot. The store manager offered him a few dollars if he cleaned the parking lot. You could tell he was a nice guy. His name was Troy. Ask the homeless their name. Humanize your communication with them. Common courtesy...

So everything happens for reason folks. The second Wawa and not the first. The alarm in my building was for me to wake up to do something good for another human being.

I tell you this not to pat myself on the back but to encourage you to do the same for someone else. It takes so little to make someone else feel noticed and worthwhile and human... Homeless people say they feel invisible. Let them know that you see them...

And let us never forget that, "but for the grace of God", there go any one of us... No matter how high, any one of us could find ourselves in an unfortunate situation.

Troy feels good and I feel good about helping him. That's better than church!

It's Sunday! Help somebody. It truly is the little things that make us a big blessing to others.

Thank You God for allowing me to be able to help another.

~ Amen
πŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏπŸ™πŸΏ

Good Sunday Morning Folks! Make it a Good Day!

P.S. I am going to keep a bag in my car for those I see in need. Let me know if you know someone in the Camden area in need of help. I have lots to give away.

Written Sunday, December 11, 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment