Thursday, February 21, 2013

It's the Little Things...


This year I have challenged myself to be deliberate and conscientious in a commitment to myself to perform daily and random acts of kindness for others when and where ever I can. I am convinced that that it is the total of the little things we do that make the biggest impact. So I am committed to extending myself when I can. So yesterday following my tour at Freedom Park in Pretoria, South Africa, the concept for which was offered by President Mandela and whose theme is centered around peace & tranquility, spirituality, reconciliation, forgiveness and such, I am walking around the square where I am to catch the train back to Johannesburg. A young woman walking alongside me starts asking me about blood testing. At first I was not sure to what she was referring. I thought she wanted to know if I wanted my blood tested. Having an understanding however of the AIDS crisis here, I quickly understood that she wanted to know where to get tested. She assumed that I would know because they can tell by sight that I am American. I am happy to report that there are Black Americans over here doing good work around HIV & AIDS. Not by chance, I just happen to know one, Dazon Dixon Diallo, Founder of Sister Love, an international organization working to educate women regarding HIV & AIDS. So I called her to find out where this woman might go in Pretoria to be tested.

After speaking with the lady, Dazon made a call and quickly ascertained where she could go in Pretoria. She had two options, one was free but she seemed reluctant to go to public health. She is from Zimbabwe and might be here illegally. Who knows? I did not ask.  Her other option was to go a pharmacy and get tested for 15 Rand ($1.68 US). This woman asked me for nothing more than advice on where she might be tested. She seemed genuine in her desire to know her status and having just been tested myself, I knew that I was going to help her find out.
 
I wanted to walk with her to the pharmacy but as it was getting dark and I do not know the area, safety and good judgment prevailed. Truthfully too, I was not sure how I would react or what I would say if this woman were positive. I am no expert in the field and Dazon was back in Jo’burg. So instead, I gave the woman the 15 Rand and asked her to make a promise to herself that she would be tested. She owed me nothing. She said she would and that she would call me with her results. I assured her that her status is her business but that if she needed to talk to someone I could surely help to make that happen. She was most appreciative and assured me that God Loves Me…  I gave her a sincere hug and we went our separate ways. It’s the little things folks…

Have a Terrific Thursday!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment