Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sojourn to the Motherland...

Good Morning From Johannesburg, South Africa! I have committed that while I am on travel I will blog regularly. I left yesterday morning from JFK just before Storm Nemo hit. Sure that ours was one of the last flights to leave. We de-iced and thankfully got out of there safe and sound for a 17 hour flight... 

Flight down is interesting. I am seated next to a former colleague and administrator from law school who is hosting a group of American tourists. What are the odds of getting on any flight, much less an international flight, and being seated next to someone you know? Another sign that this is a journey this is meant to be. Enjoyed catching up with him between bouts of much needed sleep. Such a small world!

We leave early Friday and fly safely and soundly into Saturday morning, landing on another continent. I am happy and proud to be in the Motherland, especially during Black History Month. Johannesburg is sunny and beautiful. Thankfully customs was uneventful. Sailed right through. Luggage retrieval was timely and drama free too. Imagine that! Hats off to South African Air which not only offered a very reasonably priced ticket but also had wonderful staff from the agents I booked with, who were more than helpful, to the on-board staff who were quite pleasant and professional. Keep that in mind for your future travel needs. Icing on the cake however, was being greeted by a friendly and very familiar face. Upon arrival I was reunited with an old friend from my days at Howard University, Zanele Mamba! We had not seen one another since graduating more than 20 years ago. She was there to pick me up and take me to my guest house. Howard connections are abundant and infinite... Thank you Zanele!

As we drove along catching up and reminiscing about times and people of old, she pointed out to me places and things of interest that I will want to visit while here, including the residence for Nelson Mandela. Should I be so lucky to catch even a glimpse of him? I Wish. Fingers crossed... As it turns out, Zanele will be surprised to learn that a local Friend of hers is also staying at the same guest house. I am in good hands...

A few years back I saw a documentary on HBO depicting Black Americans who had relocated to South Africa and made very good lives for themselves, Blacks Without Borders. It is now on youtube, check it out. I was hopeful even then, to connect with these other adventurous souls and certainly intended to try meeting them during my visit. As luck would have it, I knew someone, who knew someone, who knew someone and I will be staying at Lemurian Guest House which is owned by one of the entrepreneurs featured in that documentary, Cora Vaughan. While here, Cora is planning a big party for her husband so it appears that I will meet at least 3 of the other featured entrepreneurs as well. I am hopeful to spend a non-touristy day in Soweto truly seeing how the locals live and exploring the social issues with one of the featured gentleman who has committed himself to working and doing great community service there. So much history to explore in Soweto coupled with the opportunity to do a little volunteer work helping others while there. I am excited!
 
Also staying at Lemurian are two other Black American women, Dorothy and Toni. Like me, Toni is from NJ. They are wonderful and resourceful women who have both been in South Africa for quite a while. They are proving to be quite friendly and willing to help make certain that my visit here is productive and fruitful. I am blessed!

Day one was filled with the usual first day travel stuff, meeting folks and checking out the surroundings. Surprisingly I did not sleep or take a nap. I am feeling quite at home as I engage in lively Sistah' talk with Zanele and the ladies at Lemurian.  I spent the evening with Dorothy visiting the home of her Friends who are a husband and wife film producer team. Loved talking with them. She is South African "Coloured". He is a history buff who is Jamaican by way of UK. He has lived in South Africa for over 15 years. His Mother lives in North Carolina. As I am interested in doing a comparative analysis of race relations between post apartheid South African and "post" civil rights US, I enjoy our thoughful and provocative exchange. Although I have formed my own hypothesis, quite naturally I am intrigued as we share perspectives on race and politics in both countries. No surprise that everyone here is a huge fan of Barack Obama, much as most Americans are huge fans of Nelson Mandela. Two Great Black men. Two great nations lucky to have benefitted from their leadership. 

Day One ends on a happy and grateful note. I fell fast asleep when finally I hit the sheets after a long and exhaustive day. Slept very well at Lemurian. Woke up well rested and looking forward to day two.  

Stay tuned...  

9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the next post. Watched the Youtube videos. Looking forward to visiting you about a year or 2 from now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're off to a great start. I recall a friend who visited SA mentioning Mandela's prison for history, Cape Town and beaches for beauty, Johannesburg and Soweto for nightlife, and there was a trip to see wild animals roaming free. But it's always the people who make a trip worthwhile. Enjoy! Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I am so happy that everything started off on such a positive note. I anxiously await your next posting. While we in the US miss you, I know in my heart that you are happy & excited doing what it is you have been destined to do. I truly believe this journey is part of your purpose...Take care. Do what you do my Sistah-friend.....Max

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear. Jackie and i have been trying to get there since the turn of the century. Our plan was to wake up 1/1/00 under a South African sunrise. With that said Cape town is for shopping, dinning and day fun. Jo-berg as some call it is for business, night life, history. And lastly the little gem on the western coast Durban. That's where a lot of real estate opportunities are and where some of the folk from that show live. Its between Jo-berg and Capetown but on the west coast off the Indian Ocean. Check it out before you leave. Have fun and embrace all that you can. Nothing like being on African soil. God speed.

    Love
    Henry & Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was with you cuz I know you will enjoy your time there. Be safe and can't wait to hear about your trip. Love Vonda

    ReplyDelete
  6. South Africa, a very beautiful county and exciting with lots of fun, history, and culture. My short stay there was very memorable about 5 years ago to this day! Cape Town is breathtaking. J'berg is incredible. John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do enjoy your sojourn. It's been a few years since my visit to SA, but Jo'burg sure felt like home for me. My advice is to get to know some local people and make new friends. The rest takes care of itself. The museums (most former prisons) are interesting in content, but moreso due to the fact that many of the guides are former prisoners under Apartheid offering absolutely riveting commentary, very unlike the national park service delivery I expected. The Hector Pieterson museum and of course Robbins Island are must sees.
    Love ya - not sure of my skype addy. I think it's marcella.mccoy. LOL. I'll check and let you know:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great start Helen!

    Gail Mlokoti was in my program at HU; see if you find her and have a chat. Also Vincent Ndoro - from Zimbabwe, but was working at a university there (he worked at UDC in Washington). Have not been in touch with them for year but who knows ... Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving your first post! Can hardly wait for the pics that will accompany your story telling. I enjoy your writing and believe the pics will enhance the documenting of your journey. Thanks for sharing and I will continue to follow. BIG SMILE! (Just read it this morning 8:50am 2.20.2013)-David Amaker

    ReplyDelete