Thursday, February 7, 2019

When Being American Became Exhausting...


What is becoming of America? Daily, it is more and more difficult to simply "be" in America. I put it to words on yesterday when I told a few friends that I am just mentally exhausted. I noticed this morning that a few others have used the same adjective to describe their state of being...

I am worn out by the perpetual cycle of endless "breaking news" that has become so commonplace that it ain't "breaking" at all...

I am worn out by the perpetual cycle of scandal after scandal and lie after lie that has become politics American style.

And oh the sex scandals...

I am worn out that still we are dealing with matters of race that we dealt with by not dealing with 50 years ago. So is it really any wonder that we are here AGAIN?

I am worn out that we have become a society who, seemingly for sport, enjoys the thrill of tearing one another down. And we wonder why our children are bullies... Do we?

I am just tired and in desperate need of a reprieve but where to go? There seems no escaping America, the "leader" of the free world. As she implodes from within, of course the rest of the world is watching, some with absolute delight and extreme glee, others with absolute shock and utter disbelief that we have fallen so far and seem unwilling, unable, uninterested or unsure of how to put ourselves back together again - at least externally...

As I struggle to sustain normalcy and remain engaged by reminding myself that as he was not elected, he does not speak for nor "govern" by a mandate from the American people and that this too shall pass, eventually..., I ponder where, when and how does this roller coaster stop? How, when and where do I get off?

Previously I have joked that is it any wonder that half the damn country is on opioids? Of course we are on opioids, I would joke, how else can we cope? Well, the joke is becoming less and less funny as daily, art bypasses imitation and becomes life as the reality of America's obsession with reality TV consumes us and sadly becomes the reality we live. It just ain't so funny no mo'... None of it... It is tiring and when I am not embarassed, I am exhausted from the mental fatigue of just being...

American...

That right there folks, is what is on my terribly exhausted mind this Thursday morning. Have a good day and close out the chatter as best you can...

8 comments:

  1. Love it...thanks for giving words to a truth so many of us have been living in the last 2 years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never one to disappoint penning your profound and provocative social observation. As usual, spot on and all I can say is sad but true. Not only are we exhausted (sick and tired) but we are running out of words to explain what is happening around and to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true and so well put. I believe it’s time to retreat, regroup and rejuvenate ourselves to prepare for what’s ahead. Throw away and get rid of the BS to make room for what really counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We can't hide from Babylon. It is everywhere and has been since, at least, Columbus. It just moves its capital around. Its been America's turn for the last 100 years. Just ask Venezuela. Cuba, Vietnam, Iraq, Harlem, South Central, Birmingham.....I think it feels better when you put it in context.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok! You don't get off that easy. Your
    words are so on point and said with
    such passion. They need to heard on
    more than just this blog. This is Black
    History Month please send this to every
    news outlet it needs to be published.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tired of Virginia's shenanigans?

    ReplyDelete
  7. In no eay can your feets get weary, Miss Higgi--we need you--your strength & ability to speak for/to people that cant speak for themselves! That never will never end.

    But as your sista', rest & find peace.


    ReplyDelete