Thursday, September 9, 2021

When The Hustle Is Harmless...


So who doesn't love a good hustle? Last night I stopped at a gas station. There was an older woman, she wasn't young, maybe middle aged woman, sitting right outside the entrance. I could tell she was homeless or maybe just down on her luck. She had a big bag next to her but she was presentable and very nice.
 
When I went in the store I didn't have enough money so I had to come back out. When I went back in, she had already been engaging me, so she said to me, "Sis do you have a dollar bill for 4 quarters"? I said I'll talk to you when I get back out.

Of course, I had already decided I was going to give her money because she had not asked me for anything and I could see she needed help. So I don't think anything of it I gave her a dollar bill plus the change from my purchase. She said, "Really?", you're going to give ma a dollar and your change too"? I said sure and told her to have a nice day.

I don't pull off. I'm sitting in my car and what do I hear her say to the next customer?, "do you have a dollar bill for these 4 quarters"? I'm laughing inside cause this is her hustle! This is her hustle! And what did the guy do? The same thing I did! He gave her a dollar bill and didn't take her 4 quarters! Once again, she pretended to be surprised and of course, grateful. LOL!!! And the beat goes on...

So if she does that all evening she's doing pretty good if this is a busy gas station which it may be given its location. I don't know...

Girl has her hustle and its working. She isn't harming or harassing anyone. You can't even say she is panhandling. She never really asks for anything! I ain't mad at her!
 

The Lesson:
Be good to folks. But for the grace of God, there go you. 
Let that be your guiding principle as you practice kindness and being good to others...


         

1 comment:

  1. I would like to know what would have happened if someone said "sure, I could use some quarters," and made the exchange. Would she then start trying to get four quarters for her dollar bill?

    ReplyDelete