Wednesday, April 26, 2023

On Mr. Belafonte, The Loss of A Legend


The passing of Mr. Belafonte serves to remind us of who we used to be and who we could be. He was one of the few remaining faces and voices of who we should be. WE have abandoned us... 


I had the pleasure of hearing him speak maybe 10 years ago in Newark, NJ. I scrambled to have a front row seat, hurt neck from sitting too close to the stage be damned! It was worth every discomfort to sit at his feet and grasp his every word. He was so moving, deliberately thoughtful and intelligent in his unscripted delivery spoken straight from the depth of his heart and soul.


It was truly a night to be remembered. My front row seat garnered me an opportunity to ask our hero a question and to hand my copy of his book, to his daughter for him to sign. Mine was the first, if not the only, book signed that night, at least while he was on stage. It is a forever keepsake.


Reading his biography, My Song, introduced me to a Harry Belafonte I had not known, a true civil rights hero, a giant man of true character, a fearless man of integrity, a wise man filled with and fueled by unyielding confidence, unapologetic and non negotiable Black pride. 


My question to him that night in Newark entailed some lament for the loss of strong Black voices such as his, so prominent in the 60s. In his eloquent reply, he disagreed that his was a breed gone by, but that still there are leaders among us. He challenged that we listen to others and that we each lift our own voice. 


WE must heed and come to believe that his words of advice are true. Mr. Belafonte and so many before him have left us the blueprint. I thank them...



Rest in peace our mighty heroes. You served your people and our community well...



No comments:

Post a Comment