Friday, January 22, 2010

On This Day In Black History...

Sam Cooke, noted as "the first father of soul music" and certainly one of my favorites, was born in Clarksdale, Mississippi on January 22, 1931. He died a senseless, tragic and controversial death on December 11, 1964.

Although I love far too many of his songs to name, my favorite tune by this legendary great is "A Change is Gonna Come"... It was reportedly played at the funeral of Malcolm X and I vividly remember feeling overwhelmed when hearing it in Spike Lee's feature film about the life and times of Malcolm X, another of my favorite people. President Obama appropriately referenced it in his victory speeech.

Cooke was politically astute and wrote the song as a protest song just before his death and during the height of the 1960 civil rights movement...


He still "Sends Me..." (smile) What's your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment