Sunday, August 14, 2011

Saw The Movie...

While killing time in Manhattan on yesterday, I decided to see the movie, "The Help". Ms. Davis and the entirety of the female cast did us proud. It was clear that the producer understood the sensitivity of the subject and was very thoughtful in its presentation. The movie depicted a sad truth in our history, peppered with just enough humor to keep the moviegoer entertained while educating, not diminishing or down playing, the public regarding the realities of a very harsh period in American history. A period in our history that some would like to forget, others would like to rewrite. A part of  our “past” that may be more part of our "present" than some would like to accept. I’m Just Sayin’…

During the movie there was a White woman sitting next to me who at one emotional point in the film just started sobbing. Skeeter confronts her Mother and demands an explanation of what happened to her “Help”, her surrogate Mother, Constantine, who disappeared without explanation when Skeeter went off to college. I wanted to ask my neighbor what she was feeling at that moment but of course I did not. After the movie, she immediately left the theater. I thought I had missed my chance until I saw her in the lobby. I wanted to have tea and talk with her but I had a bus to catch. Instead we walked together and talked. She explained that while she was emotional because she had just lost an Aunt, she admitted that she was moved by the movie because it brought back memories of a "woman who helped her family" and reminded her of just how dysfunctional her family is. She went on to say that we "create" our families where we can...

I share that to say there is good in the movie in that it can and it did, raise the consciousness of the viewer on both sides. Recognizing the controversy, I had planned to view the movie with a group of mixed race women, followed by what I knew would be lively and thoughtful discussion. Unfortunately, an overloaded schedule got in the way of these good intentions and I was not able to plan this activity.

My hope is that maybe, just maybe, some modern day "Hilly" saw herself in the movie and will treat her "Help" better because of it. The heroines of the movie live on. Still today there are lots of "Abilenes, Millies, and Constantines" as well as “Hillys, Elizabeths” and others out there. Of course the “Help” now comes in different shades, from different lands and/or with different accents, but they are the Help nonetheless and despite race, ethnicity or origin, are likely similarly mistreated or disregarded. Maybe this movie will make a difference in how those who employ others see themselves and how they treat "the Help"... I'm Just Hopin'...  

For all those who have been "the Help", including my Mother, I feel your pain and respect your tenacity to survive. For all those who employ "the Help", remember "but for the grace of God there go You (I)..." and be mindful that for many, and not so many generations ago, there went you! I'm Just Sayin'... 

To all, I encourage that you see this movie. It was tastefully done...

No comments:

Post a Comment