Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Lift EVERY Voice...

Yesterday as I was checking out of Barnes & Noble, the nice cashier asked if I was interested in supporting a book drive for the holiday season. Customers were being asked to purchase from an assortment of books that would be given in our name to local children through the local library in honor of the holiday season. As I advocate and encourage reading for everyone, certainly children, I was all ready to do it. She showed me the books that had been selected, a variety of topics were represented, some books were in Spanish but NONE, NOT ONE of them featured a Black author or entailed a Black story line. I explained to her that given the lack of diversity in the books being offered, that I was unable to support her book drive. She offered that I could choose a book of my liking to donate and she frantically showed me that one of the books had a Black person on the cover as she sheepishly conceded that the book did not have a Black story line... I told her that if I stopped in again and she had a more inclusive assortment of books, I would be happy to support the most worthy effort. She was just the messenger so I was careful not to beat her up, but I think she got the message. Hopefully she shared my concern with whoever coordinated the project...

I know some of you may think that I am too intense when it comes to issues of race but somebody had better be, particularly where Black Americans are concerned... Black Americans have been/are being effectively removed from the conversation on race in terms of diversity and/or inclusion. WHEN have you last heard us even mentioned in conversations of diversity?; the definition of which has been redefined seemingly to purposely exclude or certainly to de-emphasize attention given to members of the Black community.

We hear talk of Latino concerns, Gay concerns, issues regarding women but hardly a peep where Black Americans are concerned, as though our community is all healed??? This is especially disturbing because But For/Without the struggles and tenacity of Black Americans, most others who enjoy "rights" in this country would have no rights to speak of... We laid the ground work, got a few bones and now we are complacent? That scares me... Champion for others, yes but God helps those who help themselves. IJS...
 
Get with the program people, Lift EVERY Voice (ours included) as we sing!!!

5 comments:

  1. I love this post. I see it as a call to all people to stand tall and dare to be seen and included. Such bold unapologetic presence is forged INSIDE our relationship with our selves. A resolute commitment to one's own self worth is what makes room for us at the table. Lifting your voice starts by saying I am is worthy. I am important. I deserve to be seen and heard. You don't have to prove this, just believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, we have been silent too long. Not only is B&N preventing Black kids who may be recipients of these books from reading about people like them, but whites should be enlightened also. Just as our reading is diverse, theirs should be also. And, it should be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sistar, I applaud & appreciate YOU! Too many Black people WILL not take a stand verbally nor in action to UPLIFT our people. Many passively be-LIE-ve that there is no problem. Oppression is a U-N-I-VERAL crime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just introduced to your blog by D. Viapree who thinks very highly of you, and I see why.

    This is just the dose of REAL ITY we need to keep us centered and FOCUSED on our individual and collective purpose.

    I too like to remind people that we need to be vigilant with our nationalism as it's the root of our very existence. It seems that many believe when you advocate and fight on behalf of yourself, especially your Black self it means you're some how disavowing other people, their worth, progressive agendas...

    I'd like to remind them that NO other community acts in this way except the people that built this nation for free and were programmed to believe that our worth is entangled with how we're perceived by others. Do Latino's apologize for pressing on despite their many challenges, how about our Jewish brothers and sisters?

    We need to take a peek into their books and hold our head up high and shout it from the roof tops, we are the descendants of greatness and until we all can shout this w/o apology, follow through like you did with the power of your purchase/endorsement, we have work to do!

    Peace and Be well,

    Karen
    Executive Director
    Forward Ever Sustainable Business Alliance
    www.forwardevernj.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly respect and appreciate your response concerning supporting the "book drive for the holidays" that did NOT include any of our EXCELLENT African American authorsI You are NOT being "too intense" when you speak about issues of race, discrimination, prejudice and disrespect to our people! WE MUST continue to stand up, speak out and voice our concerns--when WE are NOT included in "positive, educational, and informational programs, etc,.... ALL of us have "buying power," and we must remember to ask for books/purchase books concerning black authors to SHARE with our families, friends, organizations, etc,...

    Also, WE must continue to SHARE our knowledge, and to appreciate all of the excellent contributions and great steps/strides that so many in our race have completed so that we can have better lives.

    As a TAXPAYING member of my present community for many years, I have continually used my "knowledge and my library card" to make sure that WE are totally respresented in my library. IF diverse books, CD's, DVD's, VHS's, Magazines, Historical, or other important information is NOT there, I will make requests for approval for purchases of those
    "African American" items. I will REQUEST that books on "very diverse African American subject matters" for adults, children, teenagers, and senior citizens,etc,... are on the SHELVES in that library. WE MUST be represented, and I have "no problem" in asking for "diverse items." I have even purchased items concerning African Americans and DONATED the books, etc,.. to the library. My goals to are make sure that WE are represented in DIVERSE matters/concerns about our history and current times.

    Many times, the person(s) that purchase books for a library MUST be reminded of NEW books/informational matters by African Americans!! It is OUR job to REMIND them of these NEW/OLD books, and any other information, that is so important for our culture and others to read, learn, and attain knowledge.
    Our HISTORY should continue to be RESPECTED, acknowleged, and placed for others to READ and gain knowledge.

    Also, WE must continue to TEACH the children, so that they can continue to share the knowledge of the great historical contributions of our people.

    As a proud African American woman, I pray that I will be able to continue to learn, to grow, and to share my knowledge with others.

    Continued Blessings and Respect to you and so many others who voice their concerns.


    Benniemae November 10, 2013



    ReplyDelete