Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Do African Americans Abroad Experience White Privilege?,



Took this topic from an article by the same name. It is a good article, Do African Americans Abroad Experience White Privilege?, written by Ms. Malcolm Hughes (Click here for article)

Image result for us passportHaving had the pleasure to travel to six of the seven continents, having lived in both Spain and Ghana for extended periods of time and because I have enjoyed lengthy vacations in other countries, my cursory answer to the question is "yes" Black Americans DO enjoy a certain privilege when traveling abroad. While it is not applicable to all situations, for the most part it is true, it is freeing and being treated normal or held in some high[er] regard, acknowledged or not, can be addictive and is likely a motivating force for many Blacks to leave the US. My travels have led me to accept and appreciate that in most parts I go, be it in Africa and even in Europe, I have the passport that many others want. I dare say that my Black brethren from other countries who enjoy dual citizenship with the US and who possess two passports, given a choice, very often find it more convenient and less worrisome to travel on their American passport.

While in some circumstances Black Americans carry the burden of overcoming well dispersed and negative stereotypes conveniently conveyed about them throughout the world by White America, more often than not, we step on the foreign playing field, especially in lesser developed countries, with a certain level of unearned credibility, respect and advantages usually reserved for Whites internationally and automatically afforded Whites in America. It is a very different experience. Once however, most foreigners know that we are American, a whole new experience unfolds...

This is a good article to be considered by the Black Americans who travel internationally. Check it out. I think also worthy of discussion is how do we, Black Americans, handle ourselves and respond to being in a reverse situation, especially when in lesser developed countries? Do we take on the behaviors of those who oppress us in the US? Hmmm.... Just Askin'...

Again, this is a good read and can spark good discussion...

4 comments:

  1. i have never used that as an excuse to start trippin', like 'I am special or different' however, but it is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The link is broken Helen. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and (eventually) the article. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Europe for 13 years, and it was refreshing to finally be treated how I should have been treated in my own country, with respect! I didn't think of it as out of the ordinary, just that it was how it should be for everyone everywhere. To answer your question, no I didn't nor will I ever take on the behaviors of the oppressor, it's just not in my nature.

    ReplyDelete