Saturday, July 7, 2018

Bullying Is Not a Rite of Passage...



Somehow in America we have come to accept that bullying is an inevitable part of childhood, a rite of passage if you will, that we all get and give our fair share of and that somehow, miraculously, we will all get over it. All too often, however, such is not the case... If your child is a bully, handle it swiftly and sternly. Find out what is wrong with him or her, get them some counseling and/or give them a dose of their own medicine.

I remember slapping a boy, for what I do not recall. It was the week of a long anticipated Girl Scout camping trip. His Mother made a big deal of me slapping her son. I can't say I blame her. Her son had done nothing to me that I can recall and he did not hit me back. Of course he could have cleaned the floor with me if he so chose. He was younger but definitely the bigger person in both stature and character. His Mom came to our house and told my Mom what I had done...

My Mother told me if I did not apologize, I could not go camping. She knew I was excited about going on this trip. As much as I really wanted to go camping, I really did not want to apologize. I held out all week until the night before I was to go. She was dead serious. I was not going unless I apologized. I sucked it up and we went to his house and I apologized in front of everyone. I did not mean it but it did not matter. I had to humble myself to get what I wanted.

The next day I went camping, Camp Sacajewea somewhere in South Jersey. I don't remember where but I will never forget it because I HATED IT! LOL! I spent one night in those woods with outhouses, no lights and visions of bears and snakes and creepy crawlers dancing in my head and my Mom was coming to get me before the sun set on me for day two at Camp Sacajewea. LOL!!! I was outta' there!

All I could think of was that I apologized for nothing. Hey! I was a kid not yet ready to receive the lesson that this was not going to be one of my shining moments. My Mother made sure that I would never forget that this was not a shining moment for me. I think I remember being a bully on only one other occasion, of which I am also ashamed. I learned my lesson... The golden rule I live by today is to treat others as I wish to be treated.

Moral of the story is when your Mom blackmails you, know the value of the weapon she is bribing you with (smile). Thank You Mom, it was a valuable lesson. And "Corky", the boy I slapped who I am grateful did not give me some of my own medicine, 50 years later, I am genuinely sorry...

Bullying is not an accepted rite of passage from childhood to adulthood. Be Kind to Others. Our children are watching and mimicking...

No comments:

Post a Comment