Sunday, February 7, 2021

Traveling On My Mind...

For travelers, there are no tricks of the mind that will truly suffice for our not being able to enjoy our favorite pastime, jetsetting at whatever our level, to see and enjoy different parts of the world freely, unencumbered but most importantly, regularly. For free spirits, such as myself, being still is imprisoning...


Travel changed after 9-11. We adjusted. I can only imagine the changes awaiting us post COVID. It ain't gonna' be the same... 


For those of us who live to travel, we now realize that we actually traveled to live. My motto has always been, "some people do drugs, I do airplanes". Boy, do I need a "fix"...


For many, traveling sustains us. It gives us life. It (re)fuels our purpose. Life without travel (escapism) is not living but mere existence. I am so tired of just existing... 


We can tell ourselves what we wish but the reality is that whatever we tell ourselves, whatever we do to take our minds off airplanes, tropical beaches, meeting new people or visiting exotic places are simply our means of coping, putting on our big girl panties and dealing with our new reality. What else is there to do? 


On the bright side we should be thankful that we were able to enjoy travel and see so many wonderful places and meet so many wonderful people. How happy I am that in terms of travel, I lived life on my terms and didn't put off for tomorrow that which I needed and was able to do today. For many, it is our memories that will sustain us, especially those of us who are on the other side of 50...


In the meantime, just chill and do your best to find new escapism, even if only in your mind. Find new joys. What else is one to do? 


Thinking out loud on a sunny but cold Saturday morning. Sigh...





4 comments:

  1. Bravo! You bring words to life. Yessss Queen! I feel your heart!!! ...And the caged bird image:...PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I traveled to Nova Scotia every other year...Ghana annually...your heart has directed me to open my manual photo albums and take a trip today to Barbados, where our daughter got married... a place I enjoy with my husband and children for 3 weeks in 1999...every day there was like Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my favorite picture of you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt....you never miss what ya got til it's gone. Brighter days ahead.

    ReplyDelete