Thursday, October 21, 2021

On Another Note...

On another note, several years back, I was bike riding with a white male friend in Miami, Florida. He said to me, "Do you speak to every Black person you see"? I had to laugh at myself because it's just something that I unconsciously do. Not that I speak to every Black person I see but I do try to acknowledge my people in some kind of way... 


I think it important that Black folks affirm and acknowledge one another, at least subliminally. It is important that we affirm and acknowledge ourselves and our humanity in a world that often doesn't see, treat, or regard us as such. Our acknowledgement of one another is an unspoken language shared and understood by and between us... 


But it was interesting to me that I am mostly oblivious to it and my friend was keenly and  very much, aware of it. Self affirmation is not likely something white folks even think about. I get it. They are the majority and in power. That's all the subliminal affirmation they need I suppose... 


I try however, to acknowledge most people,  but especially my people. It costs me nothing. And Sistahs, when we see each other on these mean streets, just say hello, exchange an eye glance, a nod or a wink, raise an eyebrow, flash a fake grin, do something... Just don't be evil. Its so much easier to be kind... And Brothas you too, especially our Gay Brothas, don't think every woman who speaks to you is trying to pick you up. We're just being kind to people who look like us.  


Anyway, we should be kind and at least speak to each other no matter what. A hello or a smile cost us nothing and has the power to change the whole of someone's entire day in such a positive way. Try it...

No comments:

Post a Comment