Monday, May 7, 2012

Exercise is a MUST. Skinny is NOT the Goal!!!

Saw this article yesterday. Forwarded by my good Friend, Arthur Turner, who keeps me informed... Thank You Arthur!

Black women are fat by what measures? Recently I requested a copy of my medical records and was astonished to find that my doctor described me as "obese"! By whose standards? While I am the typical American who has bought into the national OVER obsession with weight loss (even when not necessary), in NO way do I meet the visual impression of obesity. NO WAY!!!

Many Black women never have and never will fit the body weight/height measurements established with European bone structure in mind. Lay people often underestimate our weight when they try to guess. What do they say, we "carry it well" (smile). As the author points out, we have never embraced Twiggy and never will. YUCK!

While being overweight and unhealthy is NOT good and IS a concern in our community, somehow I am sure that there is MANY a woman who might want to be "obese" like me. I'm Just Sayin'... (smile)

Not that I am downplaying that Black women, like many Americans, are visually overweight, I do not think there is a "one size fits all" model when it comes to assessing acceptable body measurements. Scale weight that is fat and unhealthy on one person might be fit and lovely on another. YES we must be conscious of weight and YES we must be concered with being healthy and fit. But we must stop feeding into the hype of a multi-BILLION dollar industry that thrives on our paranoia and and is vested in and encourages our over obsession with weight. Lose the scale and consider ALL factors when determining health status. Exercise IS a MUST but skinny is NOT the Goal!!!
Be Healthy & Take Care of YOU!!!


http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/opinion/sunday/why-black-women-are-fat.html?_r=1

No comments:

Post a Comment