Saturday, June 8, 2013

Today I Celebrate Me...

WOW! Another year has gone by. Hard to believe. Where does the time go? At this time last year I was in Los Angeles hanging out with a variety of Friends, some of whom I had not seen in a very long time. I went seeking sun and beach only to learn about "June Gloom". Apparently some parts of LA are void of sun for the most part of June. Because I was staying at Redondo Beach and was so close to the water, some days were damn near cold and some others were overcast with the gloom of June... Who knew? LOL! It was a fabulous time nonetheless! I enjoyed my time with Friends and Family. It was great...

As I prepare for what will be a subdued birthday this year, I am reminded of birthdays past. Without exception, my birthday is my special time to celebrate me! I have celebrated birthdays by doing something as simple as spending a day being pampered at a local spa, as I will today, to spending the entire month of June in Egypt marveling at the wonders of my history and dining on the Nile.

Milestone birthdays have been purposeful and extra special. The big 4-0 was celebrated on a cruise with 25 dear Friends. 35 was celebrated partying harder than I have ever partied in life. I reconnected with an old Friend from my college days and went to St. Maarten for the very first and the very best of the Sinbad Soul Festivals, 1995. Chartered planes filled with a few hundred mature and spirited Black folks from around the country descended on the island for a week of nothing but pure fun! Parties were held on a different beach every day. Concerts were held nightly with the best of performers from the 70's; Earth, Wind & Fire, The O'Jays, Gladys Knight, Frankie Beverly, Teena Marie, Ohio Players, Natalie Cole, Al Green and more. Celebrities, to include Angela Bassett, Isaac Hayes and Tom Joyner mingled, partied and took photos with us regular folks. HBO taped the event, segments of which aired later that summer. Night clubs stayed open and filled with partygoers, including myself, til' 5am! The weather was perfect and everyone was in good spirits. I had so much fun that I had to remind myself to stop and eat. Sleep was almost unheard of until we boarded our flight for home. It was such a grand time that one of the DC ladies had a party at her house later that summer for all to gather, share photos, swap tales and reminisce about our trip. It was the best time ever!!!

Miss Higgi & Frankie Beverly


Thirty was celebrated by having a party at "The Club" in Washington, DC. I remember that it was on a Friday night and I danced all night long! One of my Friends described that I partied like an over aged teenager! This too is a good memory. The Club became on of my favorite DC hang outs. It was at located above the Days Inn Hotel at 12th & K Streets, NW. Ah, the good ole' days!!!

Fifty was fab too! I celebrated in Punta Cana & Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic with two very dear and long time Friends. In between I have celebrated birthdays in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Costa Rica, Florida, Jamaica, San Francisco, Arizona, Las Vegas, Sydney, Australia and more.

Today I turn 53! Today I am truly grateful! Grateful that despite a few bumps along the way, this ride of life has been mostly good. I fully recognize and appreciate that I have been blessed in that I have been afforded some truly wonderful experiences and met some truly fantastic people! 

Thank You God for Your many blessings and for another year to inspire others and to Celebrate Me... 

Today I Celebrate Me, Happy Birthday Miss Higgi...

11 comments:

  1. To the one that inspires us to celebrate our selves--in thanks and acknowledgement of the wonderful birthdays, friends and blessings of the past & all the wonderful ones yet to come, Happy Birthday Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should celebrate ourselves, and we should realize every year is a gift in itself.
    You're a good soul with a good heart, Helen, happy to have your friendship.
    What's this "subdued" stuff? Party out!
    Have a great birthday.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Miss Higgi!!! I was just in California recently and you are so right about the "June Gloom". I am flying back out to Cali on Monday. Will you still be there? Maybe we can connect. Your blogs are FANTASTIC!!!

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, Happy Birthday and many happy returns!!!! Sounds like you are making all of your days great days!!!!

    Yvonne from Howard University

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your day, girlfriend. You've got today and many fond memories, not to mention a long, wonderful and exciting future to look forward to. Happy Birthday!

    Pat J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Helen! You are truly fabulous and an inspiration. I have tried to comment on some of your blog posts a few times, but could never remember my Google password. I really enjoyed your blogs on South Africa.

    Continued blessings!

    Reyna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Happy Birthday! Oh to be young again! (I'll be 86 in a few weeks). Enjoy Egypt. I went there on a tour with an Egyptologist--a fabulous experience. You certainly are making the most of your life. More power to you!

    Affectionately,Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 86!!! What a blessing Toni! You are so wonderful and so full of life! Age has not hindered you at all. You inspire me to keep living life to the fullest!!! Happy Birthday to YOU!!!

      Delete
  8. 53! 53! 53! you don't look a day old since 1997. Happy B-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Helen. I love reading anything you write. Your re-telling of trips and past birthdays inpires the reader to live life to the fullest! You are a phenomenal and inpiring woman!
    I pray you enjoyed your day!

    Faye

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helen, I've enjoyed knowing you for many years. You have a yest for life that can't be beat!! Your positive attitude is uplifting and inspirational. May God continue to bless you and keep you in His care!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY and keep in touch.
    Dr B.

    ReplyDelete