Friday, September 12, 2014

Ghana-Ism: Ghanaian Meets "Bronie"

Ghana-Ism:

Today I travel to the Ashanti region, to Kumasi. I purposely travel by bus to see the country side, just as I did when in South Africa, from Jo'Burg to Durban. This ride however is much shorter, four hours as compared to seven or eight... Although I am thinking that I probably should have made arrangements to fly back. No need to see the country side coming and going. Oh Well...

When I called the bus company to inquire about price and scheduling, the agent was overly friendly and seemed impressed that I am a tourist scheduling a trip with his company. He very proudly told me how nice the buses are, how efficient the company is and that when I was ready to travel I should ask for him. Not a problem...

Shortly after speaking with him I get a call from an unknown number. I answer and he lets me know that it is him. This was a call from his personal number. Soon after again, I get a text message from the same number...  He texts "Hi Hellen its me again, Ive really not had any white frnd b4 and I would want us to be frnds if u ok with it" and then he signs his name...  Poor Thing!!!

I text back; Sorry to inform you but you still don't. Not that we are friends, but I am FAR from White. Helen from NJ (as I had referred to myself when he asked what state I was from) is a PROUD Black American woman! Burst his little bubble. He apologized profusely. I think he was terribly embarrassed and thought that he had hurt my feelings. He called and texted me back to make sure I knew how sorry he was. Told him not to sweat it. Sure he will never verbalize that assumption again...

Although I have been told that in some respects the Ghanaians consider Blacks [Americans] as they do Whites...  I am told it is because we "talk like them"...  They call us all "Bronies" (or something to that effect). I thought it was a derogatory term reserved for Whites but no, they call us (Black folks) Bronies too...  Conversely, I have been corrected more times than I can count when my response to what part of Africa I am from is that I am American. They smile and say yes but you are African and welcome me "home"! So there are mixed views regarding Black folks I suppose...

I am off to meet my "new best Friend" and travel to see the Ashanti region where I will stay for at least one night, if not two. Enjoy Your Day. I will report back in...

1 comment: