Sunday, September 7, 2014

When Two Black Women Gather In Ghana...



Today I will have lunch with Dr. Esi Sutherland-Addy. She is the daughter of the late Efua Sutherland, noted poet, writer and author here in Ghana also the woman who most befriended and inspired Maya Angelou during her time in Ghana. She writes about their relationship in her book that I just finished reading, All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes

I feel honored that Professor Sutherland, who teaches at the Institute for African Studies at University of Ghana, agreed to give little ole' me some of her time. I met with her briefly in her office on Thursday. I stopped by her office expecting only to make an appointment to see her but she received me without an appointment. Ghanaians are such gracious people.

We chatted a bit. My interest in meeting with her is to share and get feedback and another perspective on what have been my experiences, observations and concerns while in Ghana. When it became evident that we will likely engage in spirited and insightful discussion, she suggested that we meet for lunch today.

Nothing by chance. It is no coincidence that Maya passed while I am here in Ghana thereby prompting me to read the book she wrote about her time in Ghana. I had no idea when I picked up the book that it had anything to do with Ghana. It is no coincidence that I will have lunch with the daughter of the woman who was such a tremendous influence for Maya during her journey in Ghana. Nothing by chance.

I look forward to being amazed following my Gathering with a Black Woman in Ghana...

No comments:

Post a Comment