Thursday, July 9, 2015

Miss Higgi on Cosby Fall Out...

So everyone has spoken on how they feel about the continuation of the Cosby saga and a few have even joked that those who did not jump on the bandwagon to crucify him are now as quiet as church mice. I can only speak for myself, so here it goes....

Am I happy about what we have heard so far revealed from the transcript of a SEALED deposition given by Mr. Cosby in his defense of one woman's accusation with whom most of us, including those currently demonizing him, knew something improper had taken place? Absolutely not...

Do I regret not jumping on the bandwagon to kick a man when he was down but instead giving him the benefit of doubt as I would aspire to afford, under unpleasant circumstances that may befall any one of us, most who criticized my decision not to condemn BC? Absolutely not...

Do I agree that he, his Wife and by extension, his Daughters should be villianized and excommunicated or that now we should forget that BC ever existed and remove/ban from society anything good he has ever done; take his shows off the air, remove statues in his honor, take his star off the walk of fame? Absolutely not....

Am I a woman who cannot think of an act more horrific than rape happening to me or any other woman and would want for it NEVER to happen to ANY woman under ANY circumstances? ABSO-FRIGGIN'-LUTELY!

Does my heart go out to true victims of rape by Mr. Cosby or any one else? ABSO-FRIGGIN'-LUTELY!!!

Do I think it proper that absent agreement of the defending party or avoidance of something truly catastrophic that will bring great harm to or that will preserve the overall well being or stability of the American public that a judge should break precedent and make a decision to unseal the contents of a legally protected document based on personal but not legal standing? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!  Mr. Cosby is not the first and certainly will not be the last person of objectionable character, questionable morals or of ill intent who will come before the justice system or be held out for public scrutiny. While the accusations being lodged against BC were horrific, they were not of significant relevance for this judge (Eduardo C. Robreno) to deviate from legal practice and to make this decision... If you disagree and think this is sound legal judgment then, as a Friend pointed out, I wish you (us) a safe landing and a careful slide down that which will prove to be a very slippery slope... I would think that very few lawyers nor anyone who understands or who has relied upon the legal assurances made when s/he agrees to settle a matter of court, is publicly applauding this decision. In addition to the benefit of saving the courts a backlog of cases, time and money, out of court settlements are encouraged and agreed to (1) to avoid records of any admission of guilt, public ridicule and to reduce or to avoid the potential of damaging effects of public ridicule or embarrassment to Family, Friends or a business entity and (2) to reduce one's liability, financial, personal and otherwise...

What I do know is that, ironically in the last two weeks before these latest revelations, in two different conversations, two young Black people both shared with me that their decision to attend college, particularly an HBCU, was inspired by the work of Mr. Cosby. What I do know, is that theirs are not isolated experiences of people who have been positively affected by the works of Dr. Cosby.

So yes, let's be disappointed in, disgusted with, feel anger and hurt, betrayed or misled by Mr. Cosby but join in his public crucifixion? STILL, I say, absolutely not.... No thank you. I am not interested. Instead I will lift my voice to say that I hope BC receives much needed psychological help. I will lift my voice to say that I am happy that those women who felt victimized can now feel vindication. I will lift my voice to say that I hope that his Wife and his lovely Daughters will be alright...  I will lift my voice to say that I hope relatives, friends and other supporters can weather this storm with him as they have weathered or enjoyed sun shiny days with or because of him....  Who needs ya' if you can't be there for them during their most difficult of times? I can't imagine there being a more difficult time for Mr. Cosby than now and I am certain that his troubles are far from over...  I wish him well and I encourage that we be balanced and fair and that we apply the same level of intense outrage and indignation extended Mr. Cosby to matters of dire concern affecting our society. I encourage that we all be reminded of that old adage about people who live in glass houses... And you know the rest...

4 comments:

  1. It makes me sad that an American icon is being measured excluding any good deeds he has done. Rape is wrong. However, I would like to see Mr. Cosby and his family be left to deal with these issues as they will. There are no winners here and by continually beating this to death, more and more of us will lose. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. While BC's conduct is horrific, inexcusable and immoral I too will not join the crucifixion party. This Judge made a personal, not legal decision in unsealing the deposition transcript. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is another case similar to Tiger Woods of being tried, judged and crucified in the court of public opinion before the verdict is even handed down. Never will condone the actions of anyone who does these things but this is for the courts to decided and in TW case he should have not had to answer to anyone other than his his wife and his maker. Hopefully, as stated, BC and his family can weather this storm and come out the other end much stronger and unified as a result. To the victims I trust that they will be able to heal and then eventually move on from strength to strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not been a Cosby fan since he began scolding Black Folks. However, I have not forgotten the time period in which most of these incidents occurred. You might remember it was during the height of use of some psychedelic drugs, and later cocaine. Further, have we not all forgotten about the audition couch that existed in Hollywood for decades - at least back to the 1920's.

    ReplyDelete