Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Happy Birthday Mommy...


Miss Higgi & Wendell Pierce
I tend to read a few books at a time. Presently, one of the books I am reading is authored by actor turned writer, Wendell Pierce, The Wind in the Reeds. He takes the reader on a journey exploring his life from youth to adulthood and pays homage to all the people and experiences that influenced and shaped the man and the phenomenal and socially conscious actor he is today. He passionately writes about his beloved community, Pontchartrain Park, a historically Black working and middle class community thriving in the lower ninth ward section of New Orleans. The book is filled with his love and commitment to preserve, protect and rebuild not only the physical structures post the devastation of Hurricane Katrina but also the integrity and legacy of the only "home" and community he knew, a home and community built by the hard work of his parents and so many others.

Pontchartrain Park, like 90% of New Orleans, was submerged under water on that fateful day in August 2005. Painful memories and disappointment in our government are forever seared in my mind following Hurricane Katrina. I am forever embittered that the US government stood by and essentially did nothing to save fellow citizens and that mainstream media accorded suffering Americans less respect than that given persons suffering similar catastrophes in foreign lands. The government ignored their suffering and the press actually demoted them to non-citizen status referring to them as "refugees" in their own land. It was a truly tragic event, another stain on the face of race relations in American history, Unforgettable, unforgivable and inexcusable.

Thankfully, Mr. Pierce happened to be in New Orleans on a day when his parents needed him most. Following his Mother's hunch to evacuate, he helped drive his Family to safety some 70 miles away. Their home was completely destroyed but not their spirit. The Family was displaced for 16 months while their new home gifted to them by their son was being re-built. He is a kind, loving and appreciative son. He writes that to give his parents a new home gave him great pleasure. This is a feel-good, uplifting and positive book about a Black Family and a Black community. I strongly recommend that you read it...

It is out of character for me to skip ahead in a book. Knowing the outcome spoils the reading. This was not that type of book however and I vowed that I would finish this reading over the holiday weekend. This morning I was halfway through, down to the last five chapters. After reading two chapters, for some odd reason, I skipped two and jumped ahead to read the final chapter. I knew from reading in a previous chapter that Mr. Pierce's Mother, who he affectionately called "Tee" was going to pass away somewhere during the course of reading this book. I was in no hurry to get to that part. He wrote so eloquently of his love, respect and admiration for his Mother that he literally made me fall in love with her too. I was saddened to know that eventually I would read of his loss. The chapter I jumped to was the final chapter of the book wherein he detailed his Mother's illness, her final moments, her final wishes and how ultimately he comes to terms with her passing. He loves her so as I do my Mom who ironically would have celebrated her 74th birthday today. So now I know what prompted me to skip ahead specifically to the last chapter...

As I read Mr. Pierce's very moving account of his emotions leading up and to following the loss of his Mother, I found myself between the pages of his last chapter vividly reliving my own story of pain and loss and my final moments with my own Mother. Quiet tears rolled down my cheeks as I experienced with him the uncompromising love he felt for his Mother and that I shared with my Mother. There was nothing he would not do for her at that moment or throughout her life. I can identify. My Mom was my world...

It has been 28 years since My Mother's passing. As always, she is heavy on my mind and love for her is permanently nestled in my heart. Of course she is especially in my thoughts today because it is her birthday. What would I give to hear her laughter, to make her smile, to show her the world, to shower her with gifts and reciprocate the love and sacrifices she made for me as a child? I love her so... Sadly, I also long for her presence especially today because she could help me to navigate yet another loss. I am still reeling from an act of hurt and betrayal so egregious toward me by one of her other children that I could use her maternal wisdom and comfort that might someday move me toward forgiveness. Some things only a Mother can do... I read this chapter and I am gratefully reminded of lessons learned and impressions held some 28 years ago, that I not only lost my Mother and best Friend but also my Family. She was it... Thankful that where the blood of family has failed me, the bonds of Family established by choice and through friendship have sustained me...  

Be good to your Moms folks, it may be the only unconditional and always reciprocated love you will know and read the book!


Thankful Always for a WONDERFUL Mother and I'm sure she can hear me when I say, 

Happy Birthday Mommy!  
I Miss & I Love You!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment