Sunday, July 3, 2016

Ain't Ours American History Too?

         
                   Image result for Black Americans 4th of July

Recently a Dear Friend who is teaching abroad expressed dismay she felt because she had nothing to contribute when her Vietnamese students spoke proudly and knowingly of their origins, their Ancestors, the meaning and importance of their last name and such. My very proud and very well read Black American Friend felt a sense of emptiness because she knows not where her origins began, from which part of Africa her Family hails. I get that. However, unlike most of my fellow Afrocentric and Afro-proud peers, such information, while undoubtedly helpful and useful to know, is not of paramount importance.   

                
If I were the ancestry seeking type, I would be more interested in knowing who were my relatives enslaved in America. What was their journey? What were their struggles but more importantly, their triumphs? I mean how cool would it be to know that I am a descendant of Nat Turner, Gabriel Prosser, Denmark Vesey, Robert Smalls and although a fictional character, a man the likes of Uncle Tom or any of our other Black American rebels who should be household names and regularly celebrated as part of American history? There are no words to express the pride I would feel in knowing that I share a blood line with or that I was the granddaughter many times removed to the likes of Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth or other of our sheroes'. Hell, ain't ours a rich American history too?

While I enjoy my trips to Africa, five countries to date, my most poignant revelation after spending extended time on the continent, specifically in Ghana in West Africa from where I could conceivably hail, is a deeper appreciation that I am Black American; an American wholly and uniquely enriched by my African roots. To those who will denounce what I have said, it is my position that the origins of my African roots, which I proudly claim, are complementary to and provide the foundation for the uniqueness of my Americanism.

Image result for Glory 54th regiment
Massachusetts 54th Black Infantry Regiment
On this 4th day of July as the nation celebrates it's "independence", I want that Black Americans focus on our path, our journey, the road we have traveled, that road mapped and traveled before us by our enslaved, freedom fighting and fearless Ancestors. Make this a day to celebrate our rich, strong and proud heritage, our legacy, determination, resilience, bravery and endurance willed to us genetically not only through the roots of Africa and but more importantly through the blood of our very proud Black American Ancestors on whose shoulders we, and so many others, so firmly stand. Ours is a proud American history too...  

It saddens me that we, Black Americans, seem to have lost our voice or have allowed it to be silenced. We seem reluctant in our recognition of truly valuing who we are, what are our contributions, our strengths, our resilience. I am bothered that we don't tell our story often and/or loudly enough, as does the Jewish community, with dignity and pride. It is my dream that we stop allowing our voice to be silenced, that our stories of valiance, pride and fearlessness be untold, forgotten or dismissed as somehow inciting hate for whites or others in America. Really? Why is Black pride always skewed to somehow suggest exclusion of others? No other race or ethnic group has to deal with such a dynamic. My question, of course, is rhetorical but I digress...  


Image result for pro black doesn't mean anti white

But for Black Americans lifting our voice, fighting for equality and against all odds, demanding our rights as citizens in the US, there would be no voice or rights, if you will, for Gays, immigrants, women, the disabled, etc. It is Black America who scripted the blueprint, laid the foundation and provided the road map for other groups to follow in pursuit of their own voice, for their own interests, protections and establishment of their own civil rights.

I want it never to be forgotten or diminished to a afterthought, that it is we, Black Americans, who made a way not only for ourselves in America but also for anyone else who dares to demand and/or make a claim for civil rights in America. Black America must again lift our voice to ensure that these groups and others know and never forget that it is our history, our legacy, our pain, our struggle and our shoulders on which they so firmly stand in their respective pursuits and demands for human and civil rights in the good ole' US of A. Ain't ours a magnificent history?


"And Still We Rise"
Permanent and highly recommended exhibition at
Charles E. Wright African American Museum
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Our influence is global. In my travels as recently as last month in Brazil, I am moved by stories from people who still express pride in what they know to be Black American resistance. They share stories of how still, all these years later, they are influenced and have been inspired by what they know to have been our struggles and our triumphs. They hail our victories and think that in America we have achieved grand success and that our struggle for racial and full equality is over. Sadly, so too do far too many of us, Americans in general, believe the "post racial" hype. Ours is a history still being written...

I dream that Black Americans use our history to be reawakened, reminded and re-energized. I want that we use our past so to motivate us to into our future wherein I envision that we joyfully celebrate us, often and loudly, and wherein we repeatedly tell OUR story to the world so to take charge of and change the negative narrative that has been told to and about us for centuries now. Especially however I want us to take charge of our narrative to tell OUR story to OUR youth so to instill pride, confidence, a sense of knowing, belonging and entitlement in this land we know as home. Ours is a magnificent American history too. WE must tell it...

So back to my Friend teaching in Vietnam. I posted the following response to her comment on Facebook:

Of course you have a voice. Ours is the story of our valiant, unbreakable, resilient and determined Ancestors who despite being held captive, brutalized and enslaved for 400 years, endured so that you and I and all who dare to make claim to civil rights (Gay, immigrant, women and otherwise) in America or who have migrated here in search of a better life (ESPECIALLY immigrants of color), now exist and have such rights and, dare I say, the right to call themselves American. They have OUR Ancestors to thank! You, Dr. Ellen, are a DIRECT descendant of those who gave birth to a nation. Stand in your greatness. Teach it! Claim it! Our heads may have been bloodied but they will never be bowed! WE are Black Americans! Say it loud! Say it Proud!


Image result for Black Americans 4th of July
What To The Slave is The 4th of July?
Frederick Douglass Speech
Independence Day, 1852 Rochester, NY
I concluded suggesting to my Friend that she read to her students, Frederick Douglass' account of what July 4th meant to the enslaved Black American in 1852 and still, in so many ways, still means to Black Americans today. I suggested that she read to her students and let the dialogue and the true narrative flow. Similarly, I suggest the rest of us do the same on this 4th day of July in the year 2016...

Know and embrace your history folks...
                                                                

           Cuz' Ours IS American History too!!! 

Happy 4th!

6 comments:

  1. Well said Miss Higgi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to know from whence we came,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my Friend, it is good to know from whence we came but we cannot allow not knowing our specifics to stifle us... We know we hail from Africa and that is all most of us will ever know. That is a proud history but so is our American history. We have come a long way and accomplished many great things! We should never discount or allow any others to discount that. To do so, is to dishonor our Black American Ancestors, our freedom fighting Ancestors, our Ancestors who survived jim crow, our Ancestors who have shaped America in so many positive ways. Too many endured too much and who gave of their lives so that we, Blacks in America, can be. We must sing their praises and always celebrate them, thereby celebrate us, for all of our days. I similarly encourage all others to do the same. Celebrate your culture and your heritage. Don't wait for others to validate you. Be Proud of and Celebrate YOU and all that YOU encompass... Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
    2. Well stated. And it sadden me that many amongst us, have such a limit knowledge of their history..
      Even more so if they are appointed educators.

      Delete
  3. I feel the same way about being a woman in America. While the culture says men and women are treated equally, personally I have never experienced that. And even today, do not. Your words are inspiring. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the link to your blog in the comment section of For Harriet. This is very well written, my sister. I tire of explaining to my white counterparts that my pro blackness does not mean I am anti-white. In a time were we are still enduring systematic racism we need to be reminded of the greatness from which we hail. I have struggled with celebrating Independance Day because I didn't know how that would look. I could not reconcile in my mind that we would endured slavery for more than 100 more years, followed by resistance ever present today. What are we celebrating? After reading your blog and the post on FH, I am able to rethink how I (we) fit into this celebration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete