Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Kwanzaa, Day 2: Be Reminded to Be the Voice!


I have the pleasure of having a Black female primary physician whose attention to my health, I truly appreciate. One day last week, before Christmas, I was doing my Santa thing and dropped by her office just a small token of appreciation for her to enjoy at this time of year. I was double parked, left my flashers on and just ran in. I asked if she was in and before the clerk could say anything beyond yes, I dropped the gift telling the clerk to give it to her and ran out....

Before the day was over, I got a message that I must come back to collect the gift because doctors are not allowed to accept gifts from patients. They tried to tell me before I left but I did not give them a chance. What the What? I have never heard anything so ridiculous. Why not? I am not a vendor. I cannot influence or bribe her any more than do the pharma reps and other vendors who, hopeful for a contract, peddle their wares to doctors all the time... I was hurt and offended! Yeah, I'm "special" like that. LOL!!!

So I called Mt. Sinai hospital and demanded to speak to someone on the executive team to tell me why I could not gift my doctor with a small token of appreciation. Yeah, I wanted to know... I wanted an explanation. As an attorney who works in compliance, I could not see the ethical violation. The gift I left was nominal, nothing that could persuade anyone to do or not do anything.

It took six days but finally someone called me back on yesterday, the day after Christmas. She called in the middle of my breakfast with friends so I did not allow her much of an opportunity to talk. I spoke, cut her off and she listened... I explained my displeasure with and failure to understand the policy. I told her that if I can give my post man a gift, surely I could give my doctor a gift. But my friend over hearing my conversation and who also thinks I am crazy passionate sometimes but who mostly appreciates my fight, thought my most compelling argument was that the hospital wants me to rate their service, tell them and others that my doctor is good but does not think it appropriate for me to show an act of kindness to let my doctor know how that I appreciate and think she is good? Come on now!

The lady went on to explain that the policy relates to vendors and that doctors can accept de minimis, non-cash gifts from their patients. She said that at this time of year she sends an annual reminder telling them not to accept gifts but that it applies only to vendors not grateful patients. She conceded there could be some confusion. I explained then that she needs to clarify that because clearly there was a misunderstanding. She assured me she would do so right away. Later that morning I received a most appreciative message thanking me and letting me know that my call had triggered a response and my doctor would get her gift! I was pleased...

Merry Christmas Folks! I know it can be exhausting sometimes and surely you should choose your battles, but in 2018 take the time to lift your voice to speak on that which is important to you. Be an example to empower others to do the same to address that which is important to them. That is how we change things. Being silent is not the answer, especially not now... How many tokens of appreciation did my doctor turn away from grateful patients before my call? Sometimes, just sometimes folks, sweating the small stuff really does matter...

I am hopeful that my doctor spent some portion of her evening yesterday sipping on wine, wearing her daishiki, enjoying her Black Santa figurine and feeling warmed to know that this patient appreciates her and her good work! Yeah, it's the little things folks! They add up and they DO matter... Ungawa!!! (smile)



In 2018, BE the Voice!!!

Celebrating Kujichagulia,Self-Determination on this second day of Kwanzaa. 
Encouraging You to Find and Lift Your Inner Voice!

1 comment:

  1. great job!!!. See Binghamton, WIVT, Kawanzaa brenda brown,endwell

    ReplyDelete