Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Rock the Boat!

Yesterday I walked pass a Harlem development project; the Victoria Hotel. As I strolled by, I was stopped in my tracks as I saw all Latino laborer/workers and ONE Black laborer IN HARLEM!!! He, the lone Black guy, of course was the flag guy. SMH...

I asked who was the foreman. I was told "Jimmy." I was instructed to knock at a door. As no one seemed to hear my knock, I stepped inside the door and called for Jimmy. A middle age White guy in street clothes, no white hat, emerged out of what looked like a meeting with other "suits" seated around a table. He asked what was the problem. I asked was he Jimmy. He said no. I told him my problem was that I did not see diversity on his project and that I was disturbed that here IN HARLEM where Black men & women undoubtedly need work, I did not appreciate seeing a work force that did not include them.

At this he got upset and wanted me to leave. His first "go to" was to threaten to call the police, which I welcomed. He was visibly angered by my questions, perhaps by my mere presence... We had a back and forth exchange wherein he continued to threaten to call the police. I encouraged him to do so and responded that in kind, I would call the press and he could explain to both why there was no diversity on his project IN HARLEM & whether he was paying the Latino workers a fair wage! I wanted him to call the police as I was violating no law. Unbeknownst to me, despite the presence of their giant inflated bear mounted on the sidewalk outside the construction site, this project is being picketed by a local union for not using union labor. I was not taking up their issue. I just want Black folks working union or no union...

Of course the angry White guy did not place that call to the police. Instead, he sent a Black female project manager to speak to, to perhaps pacify me, another Black female, who did not identify herself except to say that she is a "project manager" and who had no business card. She suggested that I should return on next Monday when she would have a card to give me... Really?

She gave me some lip service about having had reached out to the community to fill the positions and then kept deflecting the conversation about the dangers of my being on the site. We were speaking outside the site, on a public sidewalk. I pointed out that the danger could not be that imminent as she nor her colleague were wearing white hats. Of course she offered that age old argument about skill. Oh no she didn't! Oh yes she did!!! And she continued to insist that they had done community outreach to fill their positions and that as the project continued, there would be many more workers hired. I asked had she contacted the NAACP, Al Sharpton's organization or any one of the many Black churches found on every other corner IN HARLEM. She could not answer. Only that they had done "community outreach". I schooled her on not allowing herself to be pimped to make their argument to the Black and/or female public by her colleagues and assured her that her being able to eat had no bearing on the rest of us Black folks being able to eat at that table with her... She seemed not to get it. Still I drummed it home.. Someday soon, it will be her turn and she will be forced to get it!

Long story short, we all know that this is not an isolated incident. I only wish more citizens would complain. We teach folks how to treat us. I was one of how many who have walked pass this project neighboring the Apollo Theater on busy 125th Street. How many others have stopped in to ask about the lack of diversity of the work force? I called 311, the NAACP and stopped to complain at the office of 5 elected officials all on my way home. I asked for some type of intervention; at least a phone inquiry... We must all be vigilant as we claim to resist. We must also defend, advocate for ourselves as we complain that gentry-fication is consuming us and our neighborhoods. We are expected to take on the helpless victim role. We comply...

I don't doubt for one minute that if I were to visit the websites for the developers and construction companies for this project, their websites and employment applications would boast of them being "equal opportunity" employers as they encourage "women and minorities to apply". Really? I can't tell. Hold them accountable to their claims of workforce diversity and inclusion. Drink the Kool-Aid that is being served and dare to demand a flavor most palatable to your taste! This job site was lacking not only in terms of race, some White guy trying to feed his family probably needs work too, but gender as well... Sadly, I am told that the two developers of this project are minority; Lam Group, an Asian company and Danforth Developers, a Black owned company. Damn Shame!

While watching the evening news, I saw coverage of a story wherein residents in another Manhattan neighborhood were able to halt a project objecting to the height of the building being constructed. I posted my story on the reporter's Facebook page and asked her to please follow up and cover this incident and possibly other employers who are at the very least giving the appearance of blatant discrimination in their willful and unapologetic displacement of local residents as they tear down and reconstruct neighborhoods under the protective & capitalistic umbrella of gentry-fication. I requested that she do a drive by of this site to see for herself and specifically to ask why there are no Black laborers working on this project IN HARLEM? I am curious what they will say to her, if they will answer her questions, if they will send some female to appease her and if they will threaten to call the cops on her. I seriously doubt it...

Get involved folks! Take time to at least ask questions. We are sure to drown if we are too afraid to  ROCK THE BOAT!!! IJS...

2 comments:

  1. As always, you are a champion! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late Jim Horton headed Fightback over on 5th Ave. for many years. And they did just that ie confronted and interrupted jobsights with their own workers fully dressed for work and hire including hard hats and safety shoes.my late brother John aas a beneficiiary of those protests.

    ReplyDelete