Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Listening To That Little Voice...


                                                  

Listening to that little voice...

Yesterday evening I went to a nail salon to treat myself to a pedicure. I had not previously visited this salon. A "bonus" at the shop was that they offered a shoulder rub as you were seated in the chair with your feet under the toe dryer. I thought it too rough and I could have passed on it but I indulged my "special" treatment as it was short lived... The REAL bonus of going to that shop was meeting two new Sistah Girlz'. We laughed and talked politics and race and connected on that very special level because that's what Sistahs do when we gather... I love me some US!!!

At least 45 minutes after leaving the salon, I am climbing the stairs about to enter my building when I feel one of the gold chains I wear falling beneath my blouse. I put everything down and realize that it is the smaller of the two chains I wear. It is the chain with my gold scarab from Egypt that has broken. I have worn it for years. The chain, which is special because it was my Mom's, was there but no scarab. I practically disrobe on the steps leading into my building looking for my scarab. LOL!!! I realize that it must have broke during my "massage" from the guy at the nail salon... Immediately I back tracked my steps through the parking lot back to my car. Although well lighted, it was dark. I don't see it. A neighbor helps me in my search. Thank you neighbor but no luck...

The shop is closed by now. I am recalling that they were sweeping the floor when I left. My 18K gold charm that I bought in Egypt back in 1996 is gone. I lost my prize bracelet from that same trip in 2011 at my mentee's graduation from Binghamton University. It was my first time meeting her parents. They must have thought me crazy when I freaked out and left them at the restaurant to retrace my steps and find my bracelet! I looked like crazy, but no cigar. Somebody got a real find with that one... I remember how heart breaking that was. Insurance claim heartbreaking... It was valuable in more ways than one. I am not as upset about the scarab but I want it back just the same.

Just as I am about to throw in the towel on looking on any further and find resolve in that I enjoyed both pieces, that little voice tells me to go back to the shop and at least check the sidewalk between the salon and my car. Did I mention that before driving home I stopped at KFC? Shhh.... OK I did! I confess! Bad Girl!!!

So my first stop was KFC. I thought this too was a long shot because a young lady had just spilled a soda just before I left. Surely if I dropped my charm there, it got mopped up in the river of soda when they cleaned the floor. But still, I listen to that little voice and keep on my hunt for my lost charm.

I see the penny on the ground between the cars that I noticed previously so I know that I am on the right path. I enter the KFC. It is in the hood and it is chicken so yes, it is crowded! LOL!!! Forgive the stereotype. Hell, I was there too!!!

Anyway, lo and behold and MUCH to my delight, there was my little gold scarab all shiny laying on that burgundy floor just waiting for me to come back and find her. She is a lucky charm! She got stepped on and is a little bent but she is back where she belongs. Who da' thunk' it?

I could not believe it! I fist bumped the cashier who was also happy for me. The customers seemed oblivious to my joy which is a good thing because they might have noticed my little scarab on the floor and given her a new home at the local pawn shop. LOL!

A scarab is a lady bug. It symbolizes good luck. It was good luck that I found my scarab that has been with me for 22 years. It is a reminder of a happy time in my life, my first trip to Africa and one of best my vacations ever! Every Black person should see Egypt to understand, appreciate or be reminded of the depth of our greatness but that is a (his)story for another time, another blog. (smile).

The moral of this story and the reminder for me is to follow your mind. Revisit your dreams. Listen to that little voice that talks to us... Seek the impossible. Step out on faith. Good things and positive opportunities surely won't find or happen for us if we don't seek them. I listened to that little voice, sought my little charm and against all odds, I found it. Now if I could only apply that to other aspects of my life, life would be grand again...

It is Tuesday morning. I should be getting dressed for work but I sit in the middle of my bed writing this blog. Hint! Hint! I hear ya' little voice. Really I do... I hope that you are awakening to do something, go to a place, that brings you joy. If not, know that you are in control. Be the change you want to see... Listen to that the little voice that speaks to you. The voice knows... (smile)



Make it a Lady Bug/Scarab Lucky Kinda' Day!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well written Helen! You should be traveling and writing your herstory and lessons learned alone the way. Step out on faith a little further, I believe the Universe will provide exactly what you need. She is your #LittleInnerVoice

    Make it a Lady Bug/Scarab Lucky Kinda' Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have experienced similar circumstances. When I've followed that inner voice, I have always found what I thought I had lost. I just need to listen more..

    ReplyDelete