Sunday, May 20, 2018

Of Course I Watched the Wedding...



Some say why were others of us so taken with the wedding on yesterday. What did it have to do with us? Well, for many of us it was a breath of fresh air to be distracted from the constant noise and barrage of biased rhetoric that has become the norm in America.

I had not intended to watch the wedding in it's entirety, only in passing. I was sure I would catch the updates on the news for the next several days. But honestly, in light of all that we are dealing with, notwithstanding that a young Black woman was at the center of this historical moment, of course I watched the wedding!

The wedding was lighthearted, whimsical, historical, magical and just beautiful on every level! The wedding was the escape from reality I needed. Thankfully for Harry & Meghan, it is an authentic reality that they get to live. Thankfully for the rest of us, they were gracious enough to share special & welcoming moments of appreciation for diversity and purposeful acts and displays of intentional inclusion, ensuring for each of us, cultural and national pride and a true sense of belonging. It was truly a wonderful event..

This morning the positive beat goes on. I awake to see wonderful coverage on CBS Sunday Morning of the Kanneh-Mason family, the family of the young cellist who performed at the wedding on yesterday. He is blessed to have amazing parents and to come from a close knit family of seven children who are all talented classical music geniuses in their own right! How refreshing to see the media take a break from promoting the negative stereotype of the "broken and dysfunctional" Black family that it has created. Happy to start yet another day on an uplifting note. And then...

The Sunday morning noise begins. My mood is disturbed by stupid politicians trying to justify gun violence and nutty lawyers and law professors distracting us with trump propaganda and the Russian investigation... Yesterday was a day where I did not see or hear anything from that orange, illiterate, subhuman nightmare occupying the white house. How grand is that?

And you ask why some of us were glued to the TV for the wedding? Do you really? Sorry for you that you missed it... I am so very TIRED of America's reality of nonstop drama. I just want the noise to stop!!! Can Harry & Meghan get married again? Anything to stop the damn noise! Of course I watched the wedding! And on this Sunday morning, I chose to stop the noise. I chose to change the channel...

Happy Sunday Folks! 


Choose your noise wisely. Your health & well being may depend on it... 

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I am watching B&W mystery films for a break from the 'noise'.

    I caught the updates of the wedding later in the day. I wish them the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Respect Sis. I watched because I happened to be in England walking down the street in the past (my second day there) when I stumbled upon a church with many people gathered outside. The door opened and I saw Princess Diana walk out. It was amazing, magical in fact, and a total surprise. Fast forward. Although I was up preparing for the wedding of my African exchange student and his beautiful African bride, who also married on the same day as this couple, and was not able to watch Meghan and Harry's wedding in real time, I did watch it later. I did not feel the magic that you described. In fact, there were some things that made me feel a bit tense as the strife that existed behind the scenes was quite apparent to me and I frankly wanted more for Meghan for her wedding. I've watched her on Suits for awhile and remember her media message when she was a young activist in California. In the end though, I am happy for this young couple who pulled the monarchy in tow, who overcame the digs of Meghan's hateful White family members and the public, to show us how to love one another despite our obvious differences. Big ups to them.

    ReplyDelete