Thursday, November 29, 2018

On Becoming...



Is anyone else reading Michelle Obama's book, Becoming? She, like many who have studied hard  and paid a bundle to become attorneys, shares that early in her career she realized that she hated being a lawyer. Despite making big bucks, it did not fulfill her. How many of us have had that realization about being an attorney or whatever is our chosen profession? When and why did we have that epiphany and what did we do about it?

I was also surprised, but more impressed, to read her admission of failing the bar on round one and how devastating that felt to her. Making such an admission, speaks to her level of confidence and how comfortable she is in her skin. Most folks take that one to their grave with them no matter how brilliant they become, as a matter of fact ESPECIALLY when perceived and admired as brilliant so not to disturb the perception of brilliance at the expense of being perceived and still admired for normalcy... She was someone who had never failed at anything. Can't say I never failed at anything but not passing the bar on the first time out was a hard pill to swallow. It definitely puts a chunk in your armor of self confidence.

I felt wounded until I spoke with someone I considered, like Michelle Obama, a brilliant woman, a former professor from Howard University who had multiple letters behind her name; MBA, CPA, Esq and Phd! She was the bomb and I admired everything about her, but mostly her grace and intelligence. I was floored when she shared that she too zonked the first time out! I could not believe it. She built me back up, made me laugh and told me, "Ms. Higginbotham, the only person who has never passed the bar is the person who stopped taking it". I dusted my pride off and took it again. Michelle's admission about overcoming "failure" likely helped a lot of folks who will read her book. Her honesty and "can do" spirit will serve to encourage so many more to stand in their truth and just keep pushing to BECOME who they know they can and should be. Flip the script, failing nurtures growth...

Like Michelle, I realized early on that I was not so enthused with many aspects of the practice of law (that's another blog). I still struggle with it because I am a natural advocate and feel sometimes like I have cheated those who I can help and/or compromised my voice... I wonder if our shared misgivings about the practice has some relation to our shared bar experience. Was our subconscious talking to us before even we knew? Who knows? But again, I find that I am in good company! (smile) At the end of the day, being a lawyer, practicing or not, still has far reaching benefits so if it is your dream, don't be discouraged. Do some serious soul searching, intern at a law firm or two, hang out in the back of a courtroom, be sure you want it and go for it! Just don't pay for it! LOL!!! Find scholarships.

It is a very good book and is literally and rightfully selling like hotcakes! She is being very candid and transparent about her life and how she BECAME [the phenomenal woman that she is...] I will see her in NYC on Saturday night. Looking forward to it. This is good read and I hope that you all are checking it out. Too busy to read it? Get it on audio. Let her read it to you while you drive to do what I hope is your dream to BECOMING you!!!


5 comments:

  1. Very well expressed (as usual)! Makes me want to come out with what I think is the (my) biggest failure. My story was published in an anthology, but I only allowed "certain" people to read it. I have two articles in "Contemporary American Women; Our Defining Passages," Carol Smallwood & Cynthia Brackett-Vincnet were the editors/compilers. I gave voice to both articles at the University of Maine in Portland in 2010. Sometimes I see it being sold on Amazon. You probably know this already. I have
    Michelle's book, but haven't started it yet. I planned to go to the Wells Fargo Ctr in Philly tonight to try to get my book signed, but I can't. I have to go to my granddaughter's induction into the National Honor Society! Oh, well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have begun the audio and it is absolutely amazing. I am enjoying it and will actually read the book afterwards to savor certain phrasing. She is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete