Saturday, November 14, 2020

Six Years Ago Today...


Upon waking on many mornings, I write. All too often I am writing on FB when in fact I should be writing on this blog or better yet, that book I have known is in me for many years now... 

Daily, FB shares its members, memories from the same day on years gone by. Ironically, what I wrote on this day six years ago is so fitting right now. Check it out...


Helen Higginbotham
November 14, 2014 ·

I had breakfast with an American ex-pat this morning who wants never to live in the US again. She even wants another passport with which she can travel feeling free of disdain so many nations have for America... An older White woman speaking here... Now that's saying something. We might not want to hear it, but it is definitely saying something...


I can't say I am there but living in other places certainly allows one to see just how much can be/needs to be improved in the US. Stop drinking the Koolade, we are not the best...

I am mostly disheartened by the broken American spirit. Not sure what happened, OK not sure HOW it happened, HOW we ALLOWED it to happen... We are moving backward as a nation and seemingly have no will to stop it... That is scary.

When Americans lost their homes, their savings, their pensions, got ripped off by the banks with mortgage schemes, professionals became homeless or working for minimum or lesser wages or were forced to work longer than planned all while bailing out big banks, restrictive laws were passed and corporate execs got richer and we did NOTHING.... That spoke volumes to me. Deeply disturbed that if those occurrences did not make us mad as hell and determined not to take it anymore, I am not sure what will... We feel powerless and our spirit is broken. Damaged people, produce a damaged government, produce damaged future generations...

Forgive the rant. Just what I am feeling this morning after spending most of the last year outside the US.... The US is in trouble and too deluded and egotistical to acknowledge it. Wake Up People, Wake Up!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment