Saturday, August 30, 2014

Ghana-Isms; Tales From Ghana


Ghana-Ism:  Tales of those things worth noting that have happened or experiences I have enjoyed during my stay in Ghana. Often I place these things on Facebook and neglect this space where I should be writing. So here's sharing of a few laughs and a few enlightening moments I affectionately call, "Ghana-Isms". Enjoy! 


Ghana-Ism:

Mostly, water here is sent to the home not through local pipes in the street but through lines that run from these HUGE water tanks, called "poly tanks", to the house. Mine sits atop the roof and gets its water supply from a bigger tank located elsewhere on the property. The tanks are large enough that the water will last for a year or two...

Well lucky me, mine sprung a leak, the one atop the roof. So of course that meant that it had to be drained and repaired. The water was leaking into the house. It takes 24 hours for the sealant to dry, so what does that mean? NO running water for 24 hours.

The guard asked did I have a bucket so that he could "fetch" me some water. Fetch me some water? From where? Why would I have a bucket and what exactly am I supposed to do with this bucket? LOL!!! EVERYTHING you need to do that requires water for the next 24 hours! SMH!!!

An American Friend who has lived in different parts of Africa for some time, tells me that in the bush, where I will never venture, one will learn to bathe, brush teeth and all with a gallon jug of water. So who am I to complain about having a whole bucket? Putting it in perspective....

I somehow managed, really I did. Try this at home... (smile)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ghana-Ism:
I am constantly amazed by the difference in temperament between Americans & Ghanaians. Ghanaians are more cool, calm, laid back, slow paced. They are not very excitable people, unless they are talking in their language angry about driving or something...  LOL!!!  Their temperament is akin to folks in the US South. They take "Don't Worry, Be Happy" to the nth degree!!! Following is an illustration of what I mean... 
When I arrived at the airport in Accra, I was impressed that I was off the plane and through customs in what felt like less than 15 minutes. Record time for any airport! 2.5 hours later however, when I am JUST getting my last bag off the claim belt, I am not so impressed... 
American with a frown in her brow and excitement in her high pitch and very agitated "WTF" voice:  What in hell took so long?
Ghanaian with a smile on his face, cool, calm, collected and in a very controlled "stop making an ass of yourself" voice:  
But Madam, did you get your bags? 
Translation: So what in the hell are you complaining about?
Moral of the story: Just Chill Miss Higgi OR start drinking and grow gray hair cuz' the Ghanaians are just fine...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ghana-Ism While Walking:

As I walked around Accra (Ghana) this morning taking in my surroundings, the term "third world" crossed my mind. It is a term that I have always rejected. It connotes an air of superiority. It implies somehow that there is a "first world". Never heard anyone speak of a "first world". And hey!, didn't civilization begin in what is now considered "third world"? What was the "first world" doing while the "third world" was toiling in all its brilliance to lay the ground work for the rest of civilization? Just wonderin'... Oh! and is there a "second world"? Never heard tell of that either... Hmmm....

Seemingly citizens adapt to their assigned classification

physically, 
mentally,
socially,
for the good,
for the bad
and otherwise...

Lesson: Never underestimate the power of suggestion. It can permeate your mind and totally distort how you see yourself

physically,
mentally,
socially,
for the good,
for the bad
and otherwise...

This Morning I was Thinking as I Walked...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ghana-Ism:

Black folks all over the world seem to love chicken. Ghana is no exception. This Black person only eats the breast and of course the occasional basket of hot wings. For the life of me I cannot figure out what they do with the chicken's breast in Accra. There are only two places that consistently have breast. Potential dinner, AKA chickens, is roaming all over the place but the restaurants never seem to have breast. God only knows what becomes of the best part of the chicken. One restaurant explained that they use the breast for Kebabs, which are very popular here.

So one day I was in one of my regular places, Papaye's in Osu (GREAT Place), where I am sure to get a breast. I ordered my regular, Grilled Chicken Breast, Fried Rice & Cole Slaw. As in the south and in the Caribbean, folks here are slow as molasses and never quite know what is your hurry... This night the restaurant was especially crowded so the wait was long. Just as I was about to be come the "ugly American" and ask why the wait, the waiter showed up with our food. Much to my dismay, on my plate was a pitiful wing and some other part of the chicken AND it was fried not grilled with that "special" sauce on top.

I reminded the waiter that I had ordered a breast. At first he tried to convince me that whatever was on my plate was a breast. I looked at him like either he was crazy OR he thought me pretty damn dumb! Upon realizing that his explanation was not holding water, he then explained, GET THIS, that the wing WAS attached to a breast! Yes, you heard me right. He said the wing was attached to a breast. I now look at him like he is crazy or just damn dumb and I tell him "then go back in the kitchen and find the breast that WAS attached to the wing and make sure that its not fried"!!! LOL!!! I can't make this stuff up! Really I can't... Sounds like an old Robin Harris joke...

Ghana-Ism making me smile... 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ghana-Ism:
Recently I was talking to a very nice Ghanaian man, not even 40 yet. I appreciate him because he appreciates being Ghanaian and living in Ghana. He is committed to staying here and making it better. Most folks here want to be your new Best Bud, not because they don't genuinely like you but lurking in the back of their mind, it is because they want to come to the states or want you to help them get something or someone to or from the states. Quite draining after a while so I find this particular guy quite refreshing and I enjoy helping him...

One day we were talking about the states. He shared that a relative of his wife traveled from the US to Ghana to marry. He brought with him a ton of personal goods and mountains of clothing. My Friend described it as wasteful and had a hard time understanding why one person needed so much stuff. When do you ever get to wear/use it?

He pointed to the shoes on his feet and told me that it was only the second pair of shoes he had purchased since marrying in 2010! He had worn the same shoes for four years!!! He remembered he said because he had gotten married in the previous shoes and had not bought a new pair since. He owns three pair of shoes; dress shoes, sneakers and an open sandal. He doesn't see why one needs more...

He is amazed and not impressed by American waste. His in law left for the US and left all his "goods" at my Friend's house. Much to their delight, he called other Family members to come and take them. They were in heaven. Folks here like anything American. I offered a colleague a cup of Peppermint tea. He was excited until I responded "no" to his question if it was from the states. Then it became just tea and he was no longer interested... Crazy I tell you!!!

Meanwhile, I am sure that I brought no less than 30 pair of shoes with me for a one year stay in Ghana... I could learn a little something from my very wise Ghanaian Friend...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ghana-Ism:
What a wonderful walk this morning. Really roamed off the path and wound up in what felt like a village. My Friend laughs and tells me not likely in the heart of Accra! It sure felt like  a village to me. I obviously looked out of place. From afar I saw an old woman watching me with a look of amusement on her face. As I approached, she said to me "You are lost?" LOL!!! I kinda' sorta' stood out as a foreigner and wherever I was, not too many Americans frequent I am sure. I asked her which way to the road because all around me all that I saw was what I am calling a village, a contained and communal living area, muddy paths and shanty like homes...

I romanticized my image of the popular African proverb, "it takes a village". I idolized that survival in the village was collective, communal, that when one eats, all eat... I surmised that the people in the village pooled their resources to feed the village. I marveled that the woman cooking in what seemed the center of the village and who had a swarm of folks around her, was the person designated to prepare at least that meal, for everyone in the village.

My Ghanaian Friend laughed at my "village" fantasy. She then told me "I hate to burst your bubble but no, that the lady is selling breakfast!". They earn so little money here, I often wonder how they survive. I thought I was on to something. Guess not...

I walked a little farther past the old woman before finding a young woman who could also see that I was lost. She walked me to where I could see the road and pointed me in that direction. That was fun!!! Gonna' miss these adventures...

My Friend will take me to a real village in the next week or two. If what I saw this morning was not a village, I need to prepare myself. Stay tuned...

And for the record, in response to yesterday's post, I traveled with 42 pair of shoes and one pair of sneakers!!! I know, THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!! So why have I bought 2 new pair since I got here and surely will buy more before I leave? Beeeecaaaauuuussseee, I'm a Woman? LOL!!! Sounds Plausible to me.!!! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Ghana Beauty:

Naturally Beautiful... Stole an exchange with these two little girls one day after my early morning walk. They were picking flowers outside my house here in Ghana. Told me they wanted to make something lovely with them...

Not sure why, I have heard various reasons, but until well into their teenage years, girls here wear their hair shaven like the boys. I have accepted that it is not for me to understand.  The beauty however of these little girls minus the hair, makes Indie Arie's point that we are not our hair. Their natural beauty is undeniable...
I LOVE THIS PHOTO!!!
Helen MissHiggi Higginbotham's photo.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ghana-Ism:
OK, reality check!!! I am so sensitive to being ripped off by my Ghanaian "Brothers & Sisters", because that is how they con you into believing that they are not deceiving or manipulating you, that I found myself debating a situation wherein I was being charged 100 Ghana Cedis (GH¢), LESS THAN $30, $26.86 to be exact!!!, at a beauty salon, a really nice beauty salon, for services rendered which included:

(1) took old braids out
(2) washed and deep conditioned my hair (my products but so what!)
(3) put wonderful & intricate braids (dreads) back in (my hair but so what!)

So as I laugh at myself, I ask myself WHAT in the hell are you complaining about? REALLY Miss Higgi!!! Even if they are ripping you off, you are still DOLLARS ahead! I honestly think that what prompted my elevated suspicion was that one woman seeing my finished product, commented that in the states I would have paid $400 (NOT MISS HIGGI) for the same hairstyle. Not sure about that but I am I would have paid at least $200. I felt convinced that her comment planted the 100 GH¢ seed in the minds of the workers!!! The price quoted to me a few days prior was so low that I honestly cannot remember it because I knew that I would pay the stylist more anyway. I do know that it was less than 50 GH¢.

Sometimes, and rightfully so, we get caught up on the principle, but then at other times we have to ask ourselves is it really worth the risk of unnecessarily elevating our blood pressure? Sometimes NOT!!!. This was one of those NOT moments! They were really nice people and the beautician is going to get me this bomb Ghanaian hair product that I can't wait to start using, so what the hell! I tipped the young lady 10 GH¢, which is generous, gave her 5 more for car fare to get me the bomb hair product and kept it moving!!!

Keepin' it in perspective!!!

Hey! Didn't I have a hair story the last time I was here? LOL!!! This one at least has a happy ending! I will go back to this salon. No question... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ghana Tale:

It is early Saturday morning. I am sitting in bed relaxing and enjoying a quiet moment to read. My peripheral vision, which works overtime, sees something moving along the salmon colored wall to my left. Without my glasses, I think it is a harmless baby gecko, which I HATE! No, not at all... 

I put on my glasses and into view comes a spider somewhere between the size of a quarter and a 50 cent piece! Of course he has to die!!! 

I get my shoe and do my best to kill the bastard. He might be big but he moves fast. To get even with me, he goes for refuge behind the headboard of the bed in which I am relaxing and reading... So I guess he got the last laugh as certainly I am no longer comfortably resting propped up on pillows lined along the headboard. Instead I am sitting unsupported in the middle of the bed where I will see him if he plans to resurface, to attack! LOL!!! 

Luckily I am at a Friend's house and will not have to wonder about the whereabouts of Mr. Spider as I sleep in my own bed tonight. (smile) Her house is not alone. Trust me, I have seen Mr. Spider's spider cousins. Usually I, or at least my shoe, am the last thing they see... (smile) This one was quick and got away. Good for him... 

Ghanaian spiders will not be on the list of things I will miss... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Stay Tuned, More Ghana Tales & Observations to Come...


6 comments:

  1. Priceless picture, priceless moments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel like I am there ... beautiful girls even without the hair.
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen thanks for this update. Hope to hear from you soon in the U S.
    BBrown

    ReplyDelete
  5. The girls are beautiful! Are you still in Ghana? What are you doing? When are you returning? Post more pictures.
    La Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing Helen, I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete