Saturday, September 1, 2018

A Tribute to Our Queen...


Yesterday I spent what was the equivalent of a day at work watching the funeral services for Aretha Franklin, Our undisputed, irreplaceable and much adored Queen of Soul.

It took me back down memory lane. It reminded and made me proud of the wonderful and talented people we are and the rich legacy that the Black American community has shared with the world. Our being, our existence, our resilience, our style, our culture, our class has inspired so many. Sometimes we forget. Most times we don't celebrate it loudly or often enough allowing that not only do we forget but others, who stand firmly on our shoulders, who mimic our traditions, who walk in our path, who benefit from our struggle, to also forget...

Yesterday I was reminded of my Mom who played ALL of Aretha's music, from the blues, to jazz, to gospel, to her top 40 hits. I remembered regarding her music "old people's music". Definitely I was the kid who either didn't appreciate or understand Aretha's music, not even the songs that I did try to sing. I was 6 or 7 when Ms. Franklin blew up. I was in my 20's when I came to appreciate her beyond the top billed songs. Who didn't like RESPECT? Kids were hooked on showing that we could spell the word and say it with the same sass as she offered it to us. "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Find out what it means to me!"  WE LOVED IT! Didn't fully understand it but we loved it! 


I vividly remember truly hearing and fully understanding the words to Do Right Woman, Natural Woman, Ain't No Way, Dr. Feelgood, etc and actually feeling the meaning of the words my child self had sang for all those years. Wrong words and all! LOL! The woman now understood and fell in love with and came to understand why Aretha is the Queen of Soul. I began to FEEL the soul of her music in my soul and came to respect and appreciate her as the Queen! My Queen! My neighbors probably thought I had lost my mind. I was 20 something, riding through the neighborhood blasting not young folks' music of the 80's but Aretha Franklin's gold from the 60's and 70's. I am damn near 60 and still I blast and sing her music as loud as I can every chance I get! I love me so Re Re! Her music is timeless!

At the beckoning of the spirit of our Queen, yesterday was a day of our shouting and showing off to the world who we are, what we represent, what we have contributed. We reminded ourselves and the world of the treasure of us. There will never be another Aretha but forever her legacy and unmatched talent will live. I feel so blessed to have her music to allow me never to forget who she was and what she gave us. I am blessed to have seen her in concert more times than I can count; the last being in Philadelphia about five years ago. She demanded perfection of herself. 

She came on stage in Philly and she was not pleased with her voice. We, the fans, did not care. We were just honored to be in her presence. She performed for a bit, apologized and left the stage. None of us budged. We chanted for her to come back out. We wanted to hear the Queen, Our Queen, no matter her voice. Some time later, she graciously returned to the stage, told us whatever she did to "fix her vocal chords" and she sang a full concert for us! She did not short change or disappoint her fans.

Funny thing is that now I am hearing from others who also perform that more than likely there was nothing wrong with her voice but something not right about her money and this was her way of letting the promoters know that had better come up with her dough! LOL!!! Who knows? She was legendary for getting paid in cash and up front and for performing with her cash filled purse plainly in sight. So maybe... All I know is that per usual, she gave a wonderful performance. She is the Queen and she will be missed... 

Aretha Louise Franklin, March 25, 1942 – August 16, 2018 
Rest Easy My Sistah. You brought us so MUCH joy and it will sustain us FOREVER & EVER!!! Thank You! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank u for sharing. God Blessed to have an Aretha Franklin come our way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Thanks for sharing your memories and experience!

    ReplyDelete