Monday, December 24, 2012

Getting to Know Lincoln


Prompted by the movie "Lincoln" to learn more about the man and his legacy, on my way home from the theater I stopped to purchase a few noted books on President Lincoln. In my search for literature, I came across a book entitled Douglass and Lincoln, How a Revolutionary Black Leader and a Reluctant Liberator Struggled to End Slavery and Save the Union by Paul and Stephen Kendrick, a Father and Son team. This book seemed a good place to start in my journey to explore and make my own assessment of who was our 16th President and what exactly was his position on Blacks in general and freeing the Slaves. Who knew better than Frederick Douglass? He was there and unquestionably committed to the cause of Black freedom.

As the book traces the history and development of both men, it illustrates an evolution of minds, an evolution of hearts, influence and understanding, it conveys a deep and mutual respect that evolved between these two men. It proved a good read and I recommend it to others whose interests may have been similarly peaked following the movie and the lively, sometimes controversial, discussions that followed.

While I do agree that the movie should have at least referenced the relevance of the Lincoln/Douglass relationship and how Douglass influenced Lincoln's ultimate decision, I still I loved the movie and fully expect that it will receive many well deserved awards. Team of Rivals, The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by historian Doris Kearns Goodwin, a few chapters of which the movie was based, is next on the reading list regarding this subject as is Forced into Glory: Abraham Lincoln's White Dream, by Lerone Bennett, Jr.

There are many opinions regarding the legacy of President Lincoln and what was his true motivation for signing the 13th Amendment; a desire to end slavery vs a desire to save the Union. While the debate may continue, what is inescapably true is that he lost his life for daring to, shall I say having the audacity to, advance the amendment and his ideology that "mankind everywhere be free". For that, he has undying respect and gratitude from me and, I am pretty certain, from my ancestors... 

Miss Higgi says where there is question or doubt, or where curiosity is peaked, do not rely on the opinion of others. Do the research and READ, READ, READ...  

In the interim go see the movie!





                         

No comments:

Post a Comment