Thursday, December 20, 2012

Shopping While Black...

On yestereday I was in a local Best Buy. A police officer was working or moonlighting there. When I entered I was disturbed that he was checking the bag of a Black male customer as he was attempting to exit the store. The gentleman had a bag and receipt visibly in hand. There were no sounding alarms indicating theft or that a detector was left on an item. The gentleman was a well groomed and seemin...gly peaceful shopper. As I have never had my bags checked at this same store, during the brief time I was there I watched from afar to see if he was checking or stopping other customers. He was not...


Before exiting the store I approached and asked the Best Buy employee, a Black female, standing next to the officer what was their policy. She seemed uncomfortable and stumbled over an explanation that they check receipts. I told her I had never had my receipt checked and that it seemed the officer did a lot more. I not only shared with this officer that I did not like what seemed like profiling, I also called the precinct to complain to his Lieutenant who assured me he would send someone out to speak to the officer.

The officer justified his action by responding to me that "this is the world we live in". I explained as long as we ALL live in the same world and under the same conditions, I am OK with his behavior. But when application of his actions is selective to certain people or certain conditions, I have a problem... He had no idea I would make a citizen complaint.

GET INVOLVED PEOPLE! We teach others how to treat us...

No comments:

Post a Comment