Friday, December 28, 2012

Whatcha' Reading?

In 2013 my challenge to my Friends is to commit to reading and sharing your new knowledge or literary adventure with others. What better way to expand your mind and similarly provoke that of others?

Currently I am reading Walking With the Wind:A Memoir of the Movement by Congressman & Freedom Rider John Lewis. I am a HUGE supporter of the Congressman, even securing him as guest speaker at my law school graduation and having the honor to pay tribute to him before my graduating class. I want(ed) everyone to know who were/are our REAL leaders, those who took the blows and paved the way so that I could don a cap and gown, walk across a stage and dare to call myself "lawyer". We have real heroes who exemplify strength, courage, dignity, valor and determination. If we don't celebrate them, who will? I want that our history and persons like Congressman Lewis be common knowledge, that their sacrifices be known and appreciated by all. I take every opportunity to celebrate our heroes.

I begin 2013 being reminded and proudly re-walking the winds of the civil rights movement with the road map Congressman Lewis has provided. I invite you to pick up a copy and be reminded that the struggle is not over...

Thank You Congressman John Lewis!


So Whatcha' Reading?



    Walking With the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement
Walking With the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement
A perspective of the civil rights movement from someone who served on the front lines. Born the son of an
Alabama sharecropper, he became a courageous and heroic Freedom Rider and is now a long term and well respected United States Congressman. John Lewis has lived an extraordinary life and graciously shares his first hand account of the civil rights movement, the triumphs and the struggles, wherein he was arrested more than forty times, severely beaten on several occasions, and is noted for being the youngest person to speak at the infamous March on Washington. He is a walking legend, a true American hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment