Monday, March 4, 2013

Acts of Kindness Returned...

Waking up this morning to the gentle roar of the ocean. Since last posting, I have traveled to Durban, South Africa. My hotel, Blue Waters, is located just across the street.  

Opted to take a bus here so to see the country side. Not disappointed at all. South Africa is a BEAUTIFUL country. I am told however that to ride along the coast to and from Cape Town is absolutely breath taking. That, however is an 18 hour trip. I won't do that this time but look forward to doing it on my next visit. There WILL be a next visit. I feel very comfortable here.

Met a lovely couple on the bus. Like so many others, they were thrilled to learn that I am American. Folks here LOVE my accent! (smile). They were so gracious. Their son and grandson came to get them from the bus station. They loaded the car and left. As I was still searching for the elusive cab, much to my surprise the family returned to the bus station. They unloaded themselves and waited while their son transported me to my hotel. He then went back to retrieve his family. JUST TOO NICE!!!

That is the spirit of the people here and I appreciate it!!! Had the same experience last week in Johannesburg with a young man who overheard me contemplating how to get from Wits University, where I was visiting and where he contracts as a copy repair man, to the local mall to have my laptop repaired. Without hesitation and unbeknownst to university personnel, he took me to the mall, waited with me, drove me back to the university and refused my offers to buy him lunch or to pay for "petro" (gas).

The South Africans have been very welcoming and want to make certain that I have a wonderful time in their country. Their goal is accomplished...
Off to have a wonderful breakfast and then for a walk on the beach! Hopefully then I will come back and finish at least one of the blog posts I have started but not posted (smile)

Miss Higgi Says, Have a WONDERFUL Day Folks!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment