Saturday, March 16, 2013

There is Laughter on the Journey!!!


Sharing a LOL moment!

As I have previously shared, I enjoy walking and taking in the sights and have done a lot of that during my visit here in South Africa. Well, in her hey day, Sistah Girl had it goin’ on and could stop a little traffic. I was cute, shapely and blessed with a set of those wonderful Walker women legs, a family trait for which I remain thankful cuz' in the spirit of Bel Biv Divoe, all Sistah Girl has left are big legs, mysterious eyes and a smile! Sorry, I digress... 

So here I am in the Motherland where, as in the Caribbean, shapely is defined just a little bit differently than at home. American Brothas like a little meat. African Brothas, and Sistahs for that matter, like even mo' meat! So present day Sistah Girl fits right in, “big bumpas”, as so eloquently described in Jamaica a few years back, and all.

Quite naturally when I’m strolling about the streets of Johannesburg and I hear horns honking, my mind cautiously revisits the ego of old when in the US it was not unusual to attract the attention of passersby who might honk their horn, whistle (old skool’) or express their admiration in the form of some unique and highly descriptive, sometimes offensive, but mostly well intended cat call! As I tend to stroll solo, I am cautious of any such attention in South Africa and truly not trying to attract such attention. Crimes against women here are very real and Sistah Girl would prefer to be unnoticed… OK, less noticed (smile)

Well Sistah Girl has nothing to worry! Ego has been properly checked and is no longer in overdrive! Seems here that honking horns are not a form of flattery acknowledging that the walker has a cute booty, great legs or anything of the sort, but instead, honking horns here are a form of local commerce signaling that the driver has room for the big booty and long legs in his local taxi minivan, what we would call a “jitney”. I am still Laughing Out Loud!!!  Thank God Sistah Girl has a sense of humor, appreciates customs and is also blessed with a strong constitution. Otherwise, she might be just a little crushed!!! (smiling…)

Sharing a laugh and playfully passing on the value of understanding local customs. Hope you enjoyed…

Thanks to my beautiful and friendly South African Sisters, Refilwe and Merrise, I am off this morning to spend the day in infamous Sun City and then on to Pilanesberg Nature Reserve where we will enjoy an evening safari and see South Africa’s Big Five (the lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros) up close and kinda' personal...  

Miss Higgi Says, ENJOY YOUR DAY TOO!!!  
 
 
“Share our similarities, celebrate our differences.”, M. Scott Peck, American Psychiatrist

5 comments:

  1. My Sista, You are "something else". Thanks for sharing. Continue to enjoy your journey. I am certainly enjoying reading about your travels. Take care & be safe. Max

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was cute. Enjoy the safari. And keep the stories coming. -Assata

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading about your trip, Helen. Can't wait to see pictures of the safari. Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toot toot toot the horns say all day long throughout SA. I am enjoying your blog. Keep on writing girl...keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Need some pics!!!

    Had a good laugh as I was reminded of an experience I had on Wisconsin Ave in DC - after I passed a construction site a guy hollered "Lady, you could kill somedoby with that dress (had a wicked spit at the back)!" I laughed all the way to my destination :)

    ReplyDelete