Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Sojourn Continues...

A dear Friend from the states emailed to me, "you are the only person I know who can go to another continent, land in another country and instantly create a community of friends." She is right. The people I have met in South Africa, with the exception of one "ugly American", have all been wonderful! I am appreciative to feel so welcome and blessed that so many have given of their time to ensure that my stay in South Africa is rewarding and memorable. There is no doubt that I have made new and lasting friendships...

My new Friends have kept me so busy that I have not updated this blog in the last two weeks. Forgive me and thanks for your encouragement that I share this experience. So here goes...

The past two weeks were as eventful as the weeks before. Early on I traveled to Witbank, a small town in the middle of somewhere South Africa (smile) with an American Friend who does work here around the issue of HIV and Women. One of her initiatives is a farm co-op just outside Witbank wherein she partners with local women's organizations to farm the land in exchange for life skills, motivation and a means for self sufficiency amongst the local women. Her organization, SisterLove, Inc, does really good and worthy work here and in the US. Google and support them. Dazon Diallo is founder and CEO.

Witbank, unlike other parts I have traveled, is small and seemingly less accustomed to having foreigners strolling about. Makes sense. I'm from small town, NJ, so I get it. Typical tourist me however, is roaming about taking pictures of people and things, as I have done for all of my trip. Most often South Africans are asking to be photographed and then want immediately to see it. I have emailed more than a few photos to persons who have made this request. So I was caught completely off guard by a man who followed me into a shop and demanded to know why I had taken a "shot". Not being familiar with the term I had no idea he was speaking to me. I thought he was talking to the shop keeper who was looking at me like "no lady, he is talking to you and please hurry and get out of my store!" LOL!

As the man was visibly angry, quite naturally I was a tad concerned for my safety. Mostly because I was alone in "Somewhere", South Africa, because of the stories I had heard about acts of violence against women and because it was perfectly clear that Mr. Shopkeeper was not going to help a Sistah' out! Ms "Independent Tourist" is on my own, while my Friend Dazon, who knows the area and understands the local people and the local customs and who surely could have talked me out of this mess, is safely secured and working away in her office. No where in sight. No where in ear shot. Oh Hell!, quick thinking is in order... Much to my own surprise and in true NJ "never let them see you sweat style", I turned to him with a look of absolute perplexity, raised eyebrows and shrugged shoulders and nonchalantly posed as a question, "because I wanted to?" He did not appreciate or expect my response. I'm not sure I did either but it served well to disarm him.

I went on to explain that I had not taken a photo of him so I did not understand what was his problem. He went on about he and others being paid for pictures taken of them and something about their photos appearing in overseas magazines. I explained that I was just a tourist and not a reporter. This  exercise in futility fell on deaf ears. It was clear that he was hoping to instill fear in me and to incite others. I think however, my "perceived" lack of fear and my flippant attitude served to spoil his plot. Don't believe the hype! Inside I am thinking "Oh Shit! What's a Jersey Girl to do?" I am wondering where in the hell is Dazon when I need her? LOL!

Thankfully, before "abandoning" me on the street corner in Somewhere, South Africa, that had wooden and raised sidewalks with storefronts reminiscent of Gunsmoke, Dazon had pointed out to me that the municipal building was just across the street. I am interested in politics and the judicial system. The angry man, still griping about me, but to no one in particular, walked out of the store. Another however took up his cause and let me know that I had also angered others and that there was a "group forming outside". Still CCC (cool, calm and collected ~ Jersey style), I finished my business, casually walked out of the store and into the municipal building directly across the street.

Now of course I did not know what/who was in the municipal building, but I relied on my US sense and ASSumed there must be cops or officials of some kind who will show concern for a misguided, albeit sassy, American tourist. I went inside and just kind of hung around for a few minutes. I then just as casually as I entered, walked out of the building and back onto the street I had just left in full view of the "group", who I was sure was still watching me. If ever I am sticking out like a displaced American, it is now! Although a bit nervous, I maintain my 'Jersey Cool', at least for as long as I am in view of the "group"! LOL! Whew that was a close call! Sistah' Girl changed my course of action, walked away in a different direction, stopping to engage folks along the way, to further support the appearance that I had not a care in the world, but believe you me (as the old folks used to say), I did not take another photo of anyone for the rest of that day without FIRST asking permission! (smile) I'm a Howard (University) Girl. I learn quickly!!!

As I am writing this blog I am on my last day in Durban, South Africa. I look out my hotel window and see that the sun has risen and the beach is calling. I am off to Cape Town later today and will resume chronicling my saga as my next break allows. Thanks for your support and please continue to follow my journey!

Miss Higgi Says, Have a FANTASTIC Day!!!

7 comments:

  1. Girl you need to come home. Love your spirit and energy. The first time I went to the Bahamias some tourists wanted to take pictures of me. Because of my looks they thought that I was a local. Short discussion, "hey man I need money for a picture". They walked away and I was never approached again. Also blacks with cameras who speak English should travel in a group. Blacks traveling alone are greeted with suspi/anger/jealousy. Are you an enemy or a friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your adventure continues. Be careful and when in Rome... Peace Helen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby Doll, be careful because you may be classified as a member of the indicted group. I want to see you back on this side in one piece and do not want to have to come down there in Rambo fashion to even the score :)haha!! Enjoy the time and the memories made. See you soon

    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl,
    Had you been in North Philly, you would have found yourself in the same situation (or worse). You can't go around taking pictures of people without asking! LOL. It's time for you to come on in the house 'cause the street lights are coming on:)
    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. You needed to take my "take photos of people without them knowing it course" 101....Be careful & be safe from here on in--lifelesson

    ORSPHOTOS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog becomes a novel and you are the leading character. I anxiously await the next installment. When you get home, we can talk about those LOL moments. Be safe and compliant, for God's sake. Peace like I never meant it. God Bless Jackie

      Delete
  6. You handled just as would expect of you. I love your sass, but, I, also, want you to be safe.
    Be diplomatic & careful. I am so proud of you and I want to say that to you face-to-face.

    Lots of Love & Bison Love,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete