Wednesday, March 20, 2013

JOY is a Reciprocal Thing ~ Give & You Shall Receive...

Yesterday was a great day. I had almost lost hope of finding Emma, a South African Friend who I met while attending law school. She was a visiting student from South Africa during my last year of study. I saw her in passing again maybe five years ago when we both happened at the same law firm in NY. She was making big bucks. I was just working... (smile) Since then, we lost contact with one another and none of the conventional ways to find someone was working...

It is my last week in South Africa and finally logic and ingenuity kicked in and I figured out how to find her. DUH!!! We spent a lovely afternoon together and caught up over dinner. She fondly remembered that a few fellow students and I at Rutgers ensured she felt welcome and that she had a good time in the US. She wants to pay it forward and do the same for me here and has assured me a good time for my last few days.  

While Emma is a Jo'Burg girl, born and raised, she has run for peace and quiet in WITBANK of all places!!! LOL! Surely you recall Witbank, the lovely little town where I had my near fatal, never to be forgotten lesson on South African photography etiquette. What are the odds of that? You could not have convinced me that I knew anyone residing in or anywhere near Witbank! Comforting to know that if some stuff had gone down in the lovely little town in Somewhere, South Africa, I would have at least had good counsel to get me out of jail or the hospital, which ever had been the case! (smile)

Such a small world. Sorry I am only finding her during my last week. But we were both excited to see one another and looking forward to our time together. We will meet again... For right now, I am HAPPY to have found her! Receiving My Joy!!!




Today will be a special day because I get to do a good deed for John, the shoe repair guy I mentioned early in my trip. He has a roadside shoe repair business. Often still, during my walks, I stop to talk with John. He and I have become rather friendly and occasionally, we see one another about town. Daily John constructs a tent under which he works all day. His tent is 3 years old, worn from daily wear and tear and very tattered. Holes are in the top and the sun shines clear through on a beautiful day. The rain pours clear through on a rainy day. John is creative and improvises but nonetheless, when it rains, he has real problems! I am excited today because I get to surprise John with a new tent! He has no idea that I have done this for him! Giving a small piece of joy and I can't wait to see his face!!! It's the small things folks...


 


Additionally today, I will take 3 very special teenagers for their very first mani-pedi! They are "besties" and I am excited to give them this small slice of joy! Creating memories...





Joy, Miss Higgi Says "It's a Reciprocal Thing!". Give and You SHALL Receive!!! 

1 comment:

  1. Giving is heart-warming. To those who much is given, much is expected. Do your thang. It will come back to you in wonderful ways.

    Bison Love,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete